Problem returning faulty phone to CeX

Kayleigh0107

Jul 3, 2011
My mum bought me an iphone 3gs unlocked to any network from computer exchange (CeX) on Tuesday 28th June for my birthday which was on Friday 1st July.
I was out and about on my birthday so didn't get a chance to try it out.
Opened it up yesterday (2nd) put my orange sim card in but it wouldn't recognise it.I took it to my local orange shop, thinking maybe I needed a different sim card but the guy looked at the settings and said the phone was locked to the o2 network.

Today (3rd) my mum and I took the phone back to CeX, explained that it wasn't unlocked and we'd like one that would work on orange. The guy (who was the rudest person I have ever met!) took the phone out back to 'test' it, and came back to us saying that a part of it inside was broken and that is why it wasn't working. He then went on to say that the phone was tested when it was traded in and it was working so that means that the fault was made by us so therefore there would be no repair or replacement. I tried to explain to him that I'd had the phone out of the box for a total of about 10 minutes and had taken great care with it but he just kissed his teeth at me (!!!!) and said that if it was a genuine faulty phone then we would have returned it straight away. I explained the time line to him but he said that their returns policy says that you only get 48 hours to return products, after that they take no responsibility.

Is there anything we can do?
Thanks in advance for any advice!