Asked for ID in Morrisons. I am 33.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Yesterday, got to the till with the weekly shop after a long day, just wanted to get home and get supper on. One bottle of wine in my trolley - KWV Chenin Blanc on offer at £3.99 - my weekly treat - and the girl on the till asks me for ID.

I had no idea what she was talking about at first and then when I understood I laughed and said of course I don't carry ID with me, stopped doing so some years ago. She said she couldn't sell me the wine unless I showed her some ID and did I not have a driving licence with me. No, nor a passport. I asked her if there was some way we could resolve this and she said in a very offhand manner that I should start carrying around ID with me. I said that was no very practical as it was years since anyone has asked me for ID and I did understand she was doing her job but I was not that impressed. I was still in a state of surprise and actually least impressed by her tone of voice, treating me as if I had done something wrong.

I carried on packing my shopping while she ran things through the till.

A price label was missing on something and so she had to call the supervisor over, and as I was still a little peeved that I, a loyal weekly customer at Morrisons was being prevented from buying one measly bottle of wine, I said to the supervisor that I was not very impressed at being ID being aged 33 etc and was this a new policy. The supervisor said yes it was in the training and the girl would face a £5,000 fine if she sold alcohol under age. I said I understood that but then the supervisor said, if she had seen me of course she would have probably sold me the wine, but because I has now been asked for ID there was nothing she could do as she could override that.

I was now even less impressed as part of my plan b had been to go and put the shopping in the car and come back to another till to get my wine. Then I saw the supervisor go off to talk to someone else and I could overhear snippets but they were talking about it and I then felt embarrassed (don't know why) and I just wanted to pay for my shopping and leave the store.

I noticed as I left that the lady behind me had a bottle of vodka and she certainly didn't look to me any older than me. I wondered if she would be allowed to buy her vodka.

Out in the car park I felt really quite cross - especially that I would have to go someone else to buy a bottle of wine, and that is it poor training of staff. My husband suggested I write to Morrisons head office but I don't suppose I have any rights here. Am I being unreasonable? I just can't see how anyone could look at me and think for a moment that I am under 18 - I have a few wrinkles around my eyes for a start.

Do I have any consumer rights in a matter like this? I guess not.

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
I'm not sure if you have any rights but it is becoming more common. I was asked for ID at the cigarette counter a few weeks ago-I'm 29!! I was also a bit dazed but I did have my driving license as ID. The lady serving me said that they had "mystery shoppers" in the store to check they were not selling to underagers.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Awww Kate,

Just look at it as being a backhanded compliment that you are so young looking!

There was an article in the local paper about this very same thing... And oddly enough it was Morrisons too... here's the link...

Excuse me, sir, are you sure you're over 21? - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

I mean a young looking 33 I can almost forgive... but 71?!?

It seems the letter of the law is being followed here, but common sense is in short supply.

I've only ever been asked once for ID, and the oddest thing was that it was on my 18th birthday exactly and was in my local pub, not my supermarket...

I don't know whether I've just been lucky... or look terribly old.

Probably both.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I don't know about rights, I think a retailer is entitled not to sell you goods if they choose. But I certainly think that it would be worth writing to Morrisons and pointing out that their over-zealous application of a policy has caused you inconvenience, and also that the sales assistant's manner was unhelpful. I know shops get into trouble for selling alcohol to underagers and it's absolutely right that they should try not to do so - but it seems ludicrous that the supervisor can't override the ID request. What are supervisors for, if not to take decisions?

neb1405

Nov 19, 2010
Hahaha! That Liverpool Echo article just takes the mick!

I got ID'd at Tescos the other day which was unusual for me.. Although I think the risk of the likes of Morrisons or Tescos being sued is far too high, so they have to make reasonable precautions (I think if you look under 25, they have to ID you as part of their policy).