Computer Games "Too Expensive"

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
A leading figure at SEGA has stated that he feels that the market for games is perhaps a little too expensive, reducing the potential mass appeal of the games.

Software price is "key" barrier to entry for consumers // News

This is a tough one to call. In general the prices do seem high, but you have to consider the long term appeal. Most DVD's cost £10-£15 and you will watch them once, twice perhaps three times. Keen gamers will spend £40 on a game but will play it for many many hours and certainly get "their moneys worth".

In the current financial climate, and if the gaming industry is really trying to promote itself as an alternative to DVD's (which I don't think is particularly viable to be honest, although there is an overlap, they are quite distinct markets) then reducing prices would be a good way to sell more games. However there is also the argument that good games will sell whatever the price. As seen by the latest Grand Theft Auto game being out of stock across the UK within hours of its release, and what is likely to happen in a few days when the next installment of the Football Manager series of games is released on the PC & PSP.

I guess, I would rather spend £40 on a game that I will play for a long time, than £20 on one that I won't. But I'd much prefer to spend £40 on TWO games that I could play for a long time!