Elderly beware - Frinton Area

jacq

Jul 15, 2011
Hi

Please be aware of a possible scam being operated by Alan Champman of Premier Driveways.

My Mother contacted this guy last year in response to a carpet cleaning flyer that came through her door. She made an appointment and he came along and she was very pleased with the work that he did. Whilst he was there he commented on her front garden and saying that he was in partnership with someone and they also do block paving and produced a Premier Driveways flyer. My Mother said that she had been saving to have the front done so he said he would come back with catalogues and give her a price.

He returned arms laden with catalogues and drew up a plan and gave a price that my Mother agreed to. He said he needed a deposit of £700.00 to which Mum gave him a cheque. He then returned again saying the bricks she had chosen were more expensive than he originally planned for and needed a further £300.00 in addition to the £700 deposit that he had already taken. Mum gave him another cheque but when materials failed to be delivered as promised 2 days later Mum became worried and cancelled the cheque. The first cheque had already been cashed. Work never started and Chapman never returned Mum's calls.

Mum was so ashamed that she had been duped that she kept it to herself and I only found out by accident 6 months later when I was worried that she seemed stressed and unwell.

I phoned Chapman and he proceeded to give me a sob story about how terrible things were for him. I told him I was only interested in Mum getting her £700 back. He said he would pay £30 a week but to this day no money has been received.

I used MCOL to claim through small claims court as I had an address for him but he never responded to the court and the bailifs were never able to contact him.

I sent him a further text message a few weeks ago asking him why he has not responded and the message I got back was that he has never received any letters.

This is not so much about the money but the year of stress and shame that Mum has gone through. She fears that he may have got 'easy money' with her so she worries that he will target other elderly and vulnerable people which is why I want to spread the word about this dispicable man.

If anyone has any thoughts on what else I can do it would be greatly appreciated.

Mum's lifeline is a mobility scooter which has recently broken down - the repairs will cost in the region of £700. I am sick that Chapman has that money and my mum has lost her lifeline to the outside world!!!

J

thelegalizer

Jan 18, 2012
Wow this seems to be a massive scam. I'm currently working on a new BBC show called The Legalizer and will definitely make sure we look into this...

jacq

Jul 15, 2011
Hi Lizzie

I do not seem to be able to respond to you PM. There have been no further developments and he has not been in contact or repaid any money. The small claims court process and balifs were not able to make contact with him. Very very frustrating and my mum still finds it very distressing.

If you are able to help us it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards
Jacq

thelegalizer

Jan 18, 2012
Hi there,

I've sent you a PM.

You can get in contact with us via thelegalizer"AT"fulcrumtvdotcom or go to teh bbc website and search be on a show

hope to hear soon