Help please

Davew

Jul 19, 2011
Last week I bought a new watch from a local dealership. This was a once in a lifetime expensive item and cost over £3500.

The shop has now phoned me to say that they have made a mistake and that the model that I have should have cost around £750 more than they charged me.

The facts of the case are this:

When I went into the shop they showed me about 4 different types of watch, all by the same maker. I asked them the prices of each watch and then selected the one I liked most. I have paid the price that they asked, for the watch that I selected. This watch is now in my possession.

The receipt for the watch correctly states the amount that I paid but it also identifies a model number and serial number for the watch that does not match the watch that I chose and that they supplied.

In short, I have bought the watch that I intended to buy, at the price that they told me it would cost. They now say that they told me the price in error, and that they had made the mistake because they had mixed up their labels or boxes.

I dont know whether this is relevant, but on the day I selected the watch I paid £1000 deposit. I then returned the following day to pay the balance and pick the watch up. During the two days I tried the watch on a few times and so there can be no question that they knew which watch I had selected and what they told me it would cost. Having researched this on the internet, it is equallly clear that the description on he receipt does not match the watch supplied.

This seems really complicated to me - can anyone help to guide me through the legal position on this?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
I'm not 100% sure on this one,
basically, your contract has been made and accepted upon payment, however you have been charged for goods of a lesser value, as stated on receipt.

on the one hand, your contract has been made and accepted, so tough,
however, on the other hand, your contract has been made based upon the item on the receipt, which is not your watch, therefore making the contract void..

The easiest way of finding out, i believe for uptodate info, is to simply contact your local trading standards department... where a consumer advisor can speak to you regarding this..

Sorry i couldnt be of assistance.