Franking machine - rental agreement

navyreg1970

Jul 22, 2011
I recently signed up to rent a franking machine to reduce the postage costs in my small home based second business.

I rented a "Mymail" machine designed for low volume small business use (estimated usage up to 50 items a day)

I entered into a 1 year rental agreement with FP (Francotyp Postalia) who have been trading in the UK for 20 years so I thought they would be reliable

delivery was set for friday 8th July and i was told i would need to be home as an engineer would need to install it so took the day off work. The company took £200 from my bank account to ensure I would have my monthly postage credit ready to download (i had set a £200 per month limit)

the equipment never turned up - I phoned and was told the item would be delivered the following monday (11th july)- and would be by courier as it was a self install item after all.

The machine turned up, I couldnt get it to work on the monday as the phone number set in the machines modem to obtain postage credit was incorrect - customer support supplied the correct number the next day (12th July) where i proceeded to download £200 of credit onto the machine.

weds 13th july after printing just 5 postage labels the machine packed up and stopped printing correctly, I spoiled £2 worth of postage which i will need to claim back from royal mail. It was out of hours so the support desk was closed. I emailed them.

thurs 14th july I phoned customer support who said i needed to bend a metal clip in the machines ink cartridge holder - this got me another 2 postage labels before the machine stopped printing again. out of hours so customer support emailed

fri 15th july I phoned customer support who said they would send out a new ink cartridge by courier for monday as the cartridge must be faulty

mon 18th july - no cartridge, phoned them, said courier delayed will be here tuesday - company deducted another £200 from my account, phoned and told first £200 was a pre delivery credit and todays £200 was this months payment

tues 19th july - cartridge arrived by royal mail not courier, machine working ok, printed 8 items

weds 20th july - 2 more prints - machine packs up again, out of hours so emailed customer support.

thursday 21st july phoned customer support, told the machine would have to be returned for replacement, told they would send out a new machine machine.
When I asked what would happen to the £181 of credit still sat on the machine I was told I would have to claim that back from royal mail which would take 4-6 weeks, in the meantime I would have to download further credit to use the replacement machine. So i would be out of pocket by £181 for at least 4 weeks due to their inability to supply a working machine

I stated this was unacceptable, that I wanted to cancel the contract as they had failed to provide the service / equipment in a usable condition and that I wanted a full refund of all monies outstanding. Was told no problem and someone from customer accounts would phone me back within the hour.

They never phoned back.

In the period that the machine was not working I have had the additional expense of having to buy £100 of postage by other methods (smartstamp online postage)

now to the question.

What rights do I have to cancel my contract and demand my money back. Is it for me to claim back the outstanding credit sat on the broken machine from royal mail or should the franking machine company refund that immediately.

sorry if the post is a bit long winded but typing it has helped me to calm down a bit

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
after reading your post,
from bottom up:

Ideally the company should give you an instant refund for the credit sat on the machine, out of courtesy, and then they should go about getting the money back off royal mail,
However, you need to check your contract with regards to reclaiming credits, as it might state that it is down to you to do so.

As for the refund/replacement etc, you do have rights under the Sale of Goods Act as per goods being fit for purpose, however do bear in mind that under the Act, you should give the company a chance to sort out the problem(s)/repair/replace the faulty goods first, this is to be fair to both consumer and company.

However, you can still decide to pursue a refund/replacement if you'd rather.
As for the credit for the new unarrived machine, as the credit has not been, credited, if that makes sense, you should be able to get the refund off the company as the credit has not been activated yet.

By this time, you've probably received your new machine along with credit, and so check the t&c's again with regards to reclaiming credit off royal mail.

I hope this has been a help and you get your issue sorted.

JonathanWebb

Aug 29, 2011
In my line of work i hear stories like this day in day out. I work for Neopost's head office; Europe's Leading Franking machine supplier.

The problems you have had with the MyMail machine were caused because it still uses 15 year old analogue technology (connecting to the phone line). As a result, machine faults like you discussed can be common and you will be liable to pay a charge each time you top up the machine (up to £12 each time) or update the postage rates (up to £100 each time; 3/4 times a year).

Neopost are the only supplier to offer digital machines, that connect to the internet; massively reducing running costs. FREE rate changes, FREE top ups, and 90% of all faults can be simply fixed via the internet connection.

I would be very interested in sending you some information on one of our entry level machines. You can either call me on 01708 714121 and ask for Jonathan Webb (extension 4177) or let me know your number.

In response to your question, you should be within the 1 month grace period and therefore able to cancel, especially considering the poor service you received. I would be happy to look over your contract to see if i can provide some advice.