purchased a car with finance owing innocently

Leajo

Jul 26, 2011
I purchased a car almost 2 years ago in a private sale and a couple of months ago a law firm contacted me regarding the sale of my vehicle. After identifying them to be legit company I was informed of the finance history on the vehicle which came as a shock. I paid £6300 for the car which had finance owing on the vehicle. Before the purchase I performed a history check for the vehicle which came up clear. A valuation check which was comparable to the market for mileage condition of the vehicle seemed fair. I checked the vin numbers. I conducted the sale at the registered keepers address so everything seem normal we made the sale the following evening as I could not access the cash that day. The company asked me to provided evidence of the payment which we don't have, I stated that a written receipt would be worthless. however I took a loan from the bank which we have proof of agreement and payment. I provided evidence of the checks made and then were informed that I had not done a HP check, I believed we had with the history check but this was not the case on investigation. I provided all the info at my disposal to prove that we had purchased the car innocently and faxed and sent copies. I then had a visit from a representative who tried to reclaim the vehicle claiming that we had not responded to the letters.
I provided evidence of the fax and resent and sent a further copy with the representative. I had no response for more than a month so phoned to be be informed that they were reclaiming the car. I also found the person who sold the car is not the person who took out the finance.
Can the company reclaim the vehicle without a court order?
can we dispute a claim in court before the vehicle is reclaimed?
why is the person on the HP agreement not being pursued for fraud
since they signed a contract in which they are told not to sell the vehicle?
why is the previous keeper on the log book not being investigated or traced since they passed on the vehicle?
how long by law should a debt be pursued and at which point does this become fraud?
I have spent a further £3000 on repairs since a short while after the purchase the engine had a major fault and needed to be rebuilt and later the steering pump needed replacing both having receipts for. I have kept the vehicle serviced taxed and in road worthy and looked after it as any responsible owner should. Please help me solve this issue.