Dell horrible service

TomCat

Jul 26, 2011
I bought a new XPS Dell laptop. The laptop is faulty and in the last 3 weeks I have received the worst customer service experience ever. Below are one of the 20 emails I have send to resolve this and it is still unresolved.

Hi Amit,

The technician and shipment of the parts have been send to the wrong address. I also kept informing the nice lady that I had to leave at 1pm but I am not sure she understood as she kept saying the technician would arrive between 9am - 5pm even though I kept repeating I had to leave at 1pm.

I have also emailed you 8 times asking for the information on how to return the laptop but this questions has been ignored. I can only see this as a deliberate attempt to prevent me from returning the laptop that is my legal right under UK law. Making a mistake is one thing but the policy show by Dell is both illegal and dodgy and does not below in modern business practise.

Can you please provide me with the details on how to return the laptop by today please????????????

As I mentioned yesterday when I gave Dell one last chance to sort this out and provide me with a return address, I will post all our email communication (most of my emails being ignored) online on consumer forums, Twitter and Facebook, and I promise you that will cost Dell much more than the money Dell have already lost from Empire Claims taking our business elsewhere. It is a very short sighted business model to try to prevent a customer from returning a faulty product so you make one sale in return for losing all future business and getting a very bad word of mouth going around. It is a shame Dell Service Managers don't have the business knowledge to prevent this from happening.

This has been one of the worse customer experiences I have ever had in my last 12 years in business. I look forward to getting your response today.

I have only agreed to the technician to come since my request for a return address has been ignored and my legal rights set aside by Dell.

Again I am very disappointed in the dodgy business practise provided by Dell. Just so you are aware all our communication will be posted online including names of correspondence. I will also escalate this complaint further within Dell as I want to ensure the Directors are aware of the service their model provide.

Also please take Empire Claims of you list as we no longer want to receive sales calls from Dell, as we get regularly.

Here is an outline of the service provided by Dell

1. faulty computer delivered
2. I request help and a return address from Amit that promise to fix it asap, but nothing happens in the following days. The return address is ignored 3. I request help again and a return address, someone from customer service finally call me but no return address is provided (ignored). I am transferred around to the wrong departments.
4. I am promised a next day technician to fit the laptop at my house, but no one contact me to arrange this and no technician show up, the next day is the same despite me chasing this again. Also to mention that Dell have no free number I can call, I actually have to pay every time I call Dell to get my faulty laptop fixed and get Dell to stick to their promises 5. I request this again as well as a return address. The return address request is again ignored, and I get a call that a technician will call me when I get back next Thursday, and a windows 7 CD will be shipped out asap.
6. I arrive home the week after and no Windows CD is there and I later find out that it was never send as promised. I don't get the call as agreed on the Thursday and only get a call just before closing hours because I send a very angry email. Again my request for a return address is ignored.
7. Since the service is taking place in India the communication is hard and it seems as there are set scripts and that the staff is not allowed to think and act on their own so problems don't get solved and communication issues continue to occur. I say I will be home for the technician from 9am - 1pm and I repeat this 3 times but it appear the customer service representative don't understand this as she keep saying 9 - 5pm so I am sure the technician will not arrive again today when I am home. This is now the 3rd day I sit at home waiting for Dell to sort out a faulty laptop I paid £750 for and they should just have replaced or refunded. Instead they push the hassle and calling costs to ask for help on to me. The windows 7 cd and appointment is finally booked but in the confirmation email the wrong address is given. I let Dell know in 2 emails but hear nothing back. Again my request for a return address is ignored.
8. The customer service/complaint number on the website is not working and I have had no replies to my emails now for days.
9. The technician did not come yet again today as agreed so this is the 3rd day Dell stand me up and have wasted my time as I had to stay at home, and they have done nothing to neither refund my money as requested on multiple occasions (I asked for an address to return the laptop but have been ignored for 8 emails) or fit the faulty laptop. It is not only very poor service it is also in breach of UK law that protect consumers and give us 14 days return right on any electronic product bought online.

I just spoke to a Dell representative and he was so rude to say I had to persuade Dell why they should help me, and that I had no legal right to demand a refund despite me requesting a refund 3 days after receiving the product. He went on to lie and said UK distant selling rules that allow a consumer to return a product bought online in 14 days did not apply to Dell and that they did not have to follow this UK law.

NEVER USE DELL THEY ARE HORRIBLE AND INCOMPETENT.

Tony Davenport

Sep 5, 2011
If you've got it in a durable medium, either a letter or email, that you requested to return it within 3 days of purchase and they have ignored you, then they have not adhered to Distance Selling Regulations.

I launched a small claims court filing against Dell after my emails about a defective computer I bought direct from them (a Dell Zino HD - avoid it like the plague) were ignored. They settled very quickly out of court for the full amount and my court fees.

My advice, as you have tried to get satisfaction already but been ignored, is to register a small claim. You can do this online at moneyclaim.gov.uk (I think that's the address off the top of my head).

Stick to the facts - the bad customer service isn't the major issue - you bought a computer from them, it's faulty and you want your money back under the Sale of Goods Act.

The point the rude sales guy was trying to make (probably) was that custom made goods are not covered by Distance Selling. Whilst this is true I don't think Dell or any enormous computer manufacturer would actually get away with this in court. Yes, you might pick the parts to go in it, but there'll still be hundreds of people who pick the same spec as you, so it is not "unique" in any way.