Stoneacre "Lifetime Guarantee"

eborlady

Aug 2, 2011
Hello, any advice appreciated..
I bought a 2008 Fiat Panda from Stoneacre a few days ago, using a finance company. The loan company paid the money into Stoneacres' bank account, so it was treated as a cash deal. No probs.
But - the salesman and the accounts man both insisted I HAVE to take the One Year Guarantee that comes with the car. (I thought they meant it was free). But it wasn't, it cost £399.
As it is only 3 yrs old with only 3000 miles on the clock, I said I didn't really want it, at £399! However, they insisted I had to.
I had to drive home again and wait for the finance to go through a couple of days later.
In the meantime I got a phone call from their After- sales team at head office. I explained I had not taken delivery of the car yet ..but that I was not too happy about this 1- year guarantee business, adding £400 onto my loan!
The woman said she did not know anything about that side of things.

When I went back to collect the car and do the paperwork, their accounts bloke told me I had a bargain with the guarantee, as it was now a "Lifetime Guarantee" (for parts, dependent on regular Services at their depot) for the same price as the 1 - year guarantee, because he'd run out of booklets for the 1 - year, so had to give me the Lifetime one!

Sounds odd to me.

I do not even want the guarantee. I can get car serviced cheaper elsewhere, and cost of labour etc is not included in this guarantee, only parts.

It was 4 days ago now. can I get this cancelled and the money refunded?
I do not have a receipt for this guarantee, only a receipt for the price of the actual car...I do have the Lifetime Guarantee booklet with Service schedule sheets in it.

Have I been ripped off? :confused: anyone had this before?

T.C

Jan 5, 2011
Most vehicle warranties (and by most I mean 99.9% of them) are not worth the paper they are printed on, so you are right to reject this warranty as the dealer has a legal obligation to provide a minimum three months warranty anyway.

If you agreed a set price for the vehicle and then you have been told that you then have to pay extra for this warranty before you can take delivery, then they have breached the original contract of sale as you agreed to pay a set price.

They should have told you that the warranty was an add on at the price of £399 and then given you the total value so that you could then walk away before signing any paperwork.

They cannot take your money and then suddenly tell you that you owe them a further amount that you were not aware of and had not agreed to.

Being as they are in breach of contract, I would suggest that if their bluff was called with the threat of legal proceedings, (technically it could even be criminal proceedings as they are in affect blackmailing you) they would very quickly get cold feet.

I would suggest that you pop into your local Citizens Advice to get armed with all the information you need (they are very good with these sorts of matters) you could probably walk away with your head held high, but I imagine they will fight tooth and nail to keep your money.

But if the dealer is a shark on the sales side, do you really trust the actual vehicle you are looking to buy??

eborlady

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks for that, Tony.
yes, I'll go ask at CAB. the solicitor I rang for advice said the same.
I did ring the business manager at Stoneacre where I bought the car, and he assured me that labour IS included in the guarantee, so I got that wrong, but it does not say that anywhere in the paperwork.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
this sounds like possibly pushy sales people telling fibs...
the sales people may be on a target/commission for all insurance/guarantee sales, and therefore will have told you that you have no choice but to buy it, simply just to hit their target (probably to get a bonus)..

However, this may not be the case, you need to check all terms and conditions and also you should contact their Head Office again and ask if it is vital for you to take out the guarantee.. if they say it is not vital, then yes you can get it cancelled as you have been pressured/forced into purchasing something you did not want. Yet if they say it is vital, you need to ask for their terms and conditions to be sent to you in writing, so you can see for yourself, and for you to keep as your records..

As for this leaflet business, this seems a bit odd.... he's run out of 1 year guarantee booklets, so has instead upgraded it to a lifetime guarantee, all for the sake of a booklet? i think this sounds a bit odd, surely he should've just got some more booklets ordered... or maybe communications has been quite right and all he has said is that he's given you a booklet for the lifetime guarantee because he doesnt have a 1-year booklet, but the details will all still be the same?

Check with the dealership if you have got a lifetime guarantee or if you simply just have got the lifetime booklet , as they ran out..

if you have a lifetime guarantee, you might aswell keep it. a lifetime repair service for free? i'd keep that for £400!
however, if you do not want it, for whatever reason, you could cancel it provided you were forced into purchasing it.

Adam

eborlady

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks Adam,
Well it's all too fishy for me. I was re-thinking cancelling the guarantee when I found out it included parts and labour, but then one of their After - Care sales team mentioned that the cost of a service with this guarantee is at least £200. The guarantee is dependent on taking the car in for Services to them.
I know I can get the car serviced locally for much less than that!
If they'd told me a more realistic Service price, I might've wanted to keep the guarantee.
As it is, I've spoken to the Financial Ombudsman who says I have a case, and is sending a letter to their Head Office.
Cheers, Mags.

CHARLIE1967

Aug 4, 2012
merseyside
hi
this has just happened to my daughter last week.she was sold a car and extras was £995 and £495 by stoneacre for lifetime car warrenty and MOTs.i know this is sometime later but do you have any advice as they didnt tell her that lifetime means 10years and the car they sold her is already 7years old?
thanks