Car Purchased from dealer now broken

jonno

Aug 24, 2011
Hi,

I purchased a used landrover from a dealer in a face to face deal. It was bought with a long MOT and an assurance about it's mechanical state but a caution about some bodywork corrosion around the door pillars. When I first filled it with Diesel it dileaked fuel from somewhere around the fuel tank and the breaks were a little soft and graunchy, which I reported to the dealer by telephone and was asked to bear with them for a week or two as most of the mechanics were on holiday. I also noticed after the conversation that the exhaust was badly corroded.
Subsequently, there was a problem with the water pump whilst it was being driven on the motorway, and the issue was not detected by the driver until the engine cut out and he was forced to pull over onto the hard shoulder. The car was recovered to the dealer who have informed me that as the car was driven with a failed water pump the engine is now beyond economic repair. The time from purchase to break down was less than 20 days. What protection rights are available to me in terms of demanding repair or refund on the vehicle.

Many Thanks for any help or guidance

Jonno