MPs to demand cheap booze ban

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
MPs are set to demand a ban on cheap booze and are also considering raising the drinking age to 21 to try and curb binge drinking behaviour. (Source: Daily Mail)

I'm not sure I agree with this as I don't see how raising the drinking age is going to do anything except multiply the number of under-age drinkers.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Something like 30 pubs a week are closing at the moment, what affect will this have I wonder.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The only way to deal with this is for pubs to start refusing to serve people who have had enough but they won't do that coz it hits their profits, anyone who has seen 'Booze Britain' will have seen why the problem exists and that it isn't necessarily under 21's causing it.

Banning supermarkets from selling cheap booze will just punish those on lower incomes with young families who have a drink at home.

wetherspoons will only let you have 2 drinks if you have kids with you but will allow you to get absolutely smashed if you're not much more than a kid yourself but have a full wallet.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I thought that bars are not allowed to server people that have had enough. Although I don't think anybody enforces and from my experience of working in bars nobody told me not too. A few people get kicked out because they have had too much and are causing problems and that seems to be the definition. If they are quietly getting slooshed then it is fine.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Missing the Point

I do love the way the government "hide" what is in effect a taxation, probably to pay for the tax cuts they have announced as a rather sycophantic attempt at vote winning... This rather patronising "We are doing it for our country." is the bleating of the desperate and deluded.

It isn't the cost of beer that is the problem. Nor is it the age of people that is endemically the problem. The problem lies within the subculture that we have created within our society, were it is deemed "street" and "cool" to sort out problems via fist / knife / gun. Alcohol gives many the impetus to act out these savage tendencies. It blurs rationality, but that wanton destructiveness is there whether alcohol is £1 a bottle, £2 a bottle or £10 a bottle.

Make any form of alcohol too expensive and many disenfranchised young people will find an alternative way to amuse themselves for £10, £20, £50 a night. And my guess is not all of them will be legal and for the benefit of society as a whole.

The rationale behind this thinking is that by making it expensive, we deal with the problem. By the same token, why not make all cars at least £500,000, then we can solve the problem speeding on the roads!

Oddly enough, this issue will not impact me much at all. I rarely drink, if I do go the pub I am inevitably driving so I always drink soft drinks. I seldom drink at home. If I do have a drink I'd like to think I am responsible and sensible with it. Like I think the vast majority of the population of the country...

So why should we pay for the few?

There's no easy answer to the problem of violence in society. But please, don't try to pass of a blatant stealth tax as a form of social control by a concerned and streetwise government.