Returning faulty phone still in warranty

ckuk86

Sep 2, 2011
Hello,

I have a Blackberry Bold 8900 which I got through Phones 4 U last October. Recently, it stopped making calls and would cut out when others phoned me so I rang up Orange from a landline and they did everything they could to resolve the issue but couldn't do so. They also put me through to their dedicated Blackberry team who could do nothing. I then tried my SIM in another phone and it worked perfectly, leading me to the obvious solution that the problem is with the phone.

When I spoke to Phones 4 U regarding this, they said they could send it off for a free repair but couldn't supply me with a replacement temporary phone. Would I be right in saying that by law they should be supply me with a temporary phone given that they'd be sending mine away for 28 days? This not only constitutes an inconvenience to me but I'd be paying for a Blackberry internet contract while without a Blackberry.

Many thanks for any help.

popoa08

Oct 3, 2011
Hello,

I have a Blackberry Bold 8900 which I got through Phones 4 U last October. Recently, it stopped making calls and would cut out when others phoned me so I rang up Orange from a landline and they did everything they could to resolve the issue but couldn't do so. They also put me through to their dedicated Blackberry team who could do nothing. I then tried my SIM in another phone and it worked perfectly, leading me to the obvious solution that the problem is with the phone.

When I spoke to Phones 4 U regarding this, they said they could send it off for a free repair but couldn't supply me with a replacement temporary phone. Would I be right in saying that by law they should be supply me with a temporary phone given that they'd be sending mine away for 28 days? This not only constitutes an inconvenience to me but I'd be paying for a Blackberry internet contract while without a Blackberry.

Many thanks for any help.
I too am of the belief that a temporary phone should be supplied while ours gets repaired. Like a courtesy car, courtesy phone.

But sadly these phone companies do not do that. However the place you got your phone from... they should supply you with a loan phone subject to a refundable deposit. eg. You give them x amount of money. They lend you the phone. You return the phone in ts original condition you get the phone back. Get it?

Good luck.

bebeto7979

Feb 1, 2012
Did you get this fault fixed? My wife has the same problem and I need to know what to do. Essentially she wants the phone swapped but will have to go through the correct procedures.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If this is a contract phone, they have to supply a replacement as it is part of the contract although it appears they can get away with requesting a deposit (£25 for a phone worth £10).

They are also obliged to repair or replace the phone at their expense, they will probably try to fob you off with a reconditioned one if they can't repair it but if you paid for the phone when you took out the contract, it should be replaced with a new one.

bebeto7979

Feb 1, 2012
Thans for the reply.

Is it the shop who I purchased the phone from that should repair it?

It is covered under my home insurance but I believe the retailer should be the ones who try to 'Fix' the problem. It is a software issue with the Blackberry Torch 9800 so to be honest I dont really know what they will be able to do. Will probably try and fob us off to Blackberry. If the problem isnt able to fixed are we within our rights to request a replacement but a different model or make?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If it's a software issue it should be quite easily remedied although I would advise you copy all your personal data off it before you take it for repair.

Yes it is the shop who are responsible, don't let them refer you to Blackberry, they must arrange the repair or replacement thamselves.

You are entitled to a replacement phone of similar value and specification but they are not obliged to give you a different make or model, that is up to them.