The early 75% sales on the High Street

Catriona

What Consumer Founder
Jun 23, 2008
Prices are being cut by up to 75#37; this weekend as retailers prepare for a 'bargain basement' Christmasimg class="left" src="http://img.thisismoney.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/sales_203x150.jpg" width="203" height="150" alt="High street sales" /

More...The early 75% sales on the High Street (External link to This is Money)

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I noticed this morning that Dorothy Perkins seems to have a "buy one get one free" offer on pretty much all their stock.

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
It just goes to show that we are actually hitting a recession- it all makes it seem a bit more real now to me. :(

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Sorry if this sounds awful but if anyone is going to tempt me into the shops then 75% off is a pretty good start. :D

We've just had a new Wilkinson's open where I live and today I got a whole basket full of goodies including Ecover all purpose cleaner, white vinegar cleaner, bicarbonate of soda (more cleaning, sorry), cleaning sponges, wilko toothpaste, Pears clear soap, a doggy toy, aspirins, vitamin C tablets, and 3 packs of christmas wrapping (on 3 for 2), 3 packs of gift tags and a huge bag of marshmallows... all for under £10, so you hardly need a sale!

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
High Street or internet?

Any ideas if these 75% off offers are being offered on the internet as well, or purely on the high street?

I only ask because I have a loathing of Christmas shopping that borders on the murderous, and I can think of fourteen billion other things I would rather do than trudge around shops in the miserable weather buying things that people don't want, for people I don't like!

Bah Humbug and all that...

However I am a festive bunny when it comes to the internet so if there are reductions to be had online... Any chance of posting a few links so the "economically green" aka "tightfisted" can save a few bob?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Sorry, can't help it I'm naturally nosy, I had a look at the Woolworths link on this site offering toys at 50% off then did a quick google search:

Fisher-Price Sing 'N' Go Choo Choo - Woolworths (up to) 50% off price - £32.99

Available on the internet with prices varying from £14.68 to £28.98!!!

Shop around!!!!

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Shopping around is certainly a good idea as even when sales are on, bargains can be found elsewhere if you just look, as proven here.

I think the question is how much time are you prepared to look for something to get it that bit cheaper. Obviously in the case of the "Choo Choo Train" then it does work out cheaper. But often I am searching for something to get it at the cheapest possible price, find something and then discover when I get to the checkout that the P&P often make it more expensive than the original, or that sometimes, VAT hasn't been added on.

I always try to shop around but I find these sites are often a good starting point.