Creaky noises in new build apartment

Emmage

Sep 6, 2011
Bedfordshire
Hi I'm new to this site and hoping some1 can put my mind at ease!
Basically we bought a new build apartment ( ground floor) in dec 08. We have had numerous problems such as boiler installed incorrectly (had to move out for 2wks as it was 'immediatley dangerous', damp in en-suite aerials not working etc. We are working on these but it is taking forever. Anyway my latest concern is that recently we have heard loud creaking from the above apartment. It is similar to the creaks we get when shutting the main bedroom door- the noise travels through the Walls and ceiling. I'm worried that this could be a sign of a structural prob.
I'm hoping I'm worrying over nothing and this is a common thing with apartments but to be honest I've lost all confidence in our builders and just don't feel safe, especially as we now have a baby.
Any replies would be most appreciated
thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi, If your property has an NHBC warranty, Zurich or similar I would give them a ring in the first instance. I hope this helps. You are outside the snagging period now but structural issues are usually covered for 10 years depending on warranty.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
Hi, I would repeat what Tony has stated although dealing with the NHBC as I do i would not hold your breath for a quick or even positive result. If you believe you may have issues you should get a suitably qualified person to look at it and produce a report. Are you represented with regard to the other issues you 'are working on'?

Until you find the root of the noise that you describe you do not really have anything to go on as such.