why wont the dvla intervene ????

airwolf

Sep 13, 2011
hi,
my problems started around 5 weeks ago to where i bid on a van on ebay on 06/08/2011. the vehicle was pretty local to myself and i liked what i read in the vehicles description hence why i bid & won the auction. anyway, as per arranged with the seller i went to collect the vehicle on 08/08/2011 & shortly after i paid, it was clear that the clutch was gone and not happy with this i knocked on the door and demanded my money back but i was told that it was my problem now and the door was slammed in my face. therefore i called the police to whome attended the sellers house to where i had been waiting.

anyway, the officer came to me after he had spoken to the seller. he explained that he was unable to intervene & that i should approach ebay & trading standards because it was a civil matter and the officer said that the seller would forward the vehicle registration document in a few days when he had received it back from dvla.

so & upon the officers advice i approached both ebay & trading standards to report the seller about the clutch to which was not declared in the vehicles description and ebay confirmed that the purchase was not covered under their buyer protection policies & so unable to intervene but trading standards has been guiding myself fully and im about to now file a claim in the county court in order to recover costs associated with having the clutch replaced.

however,to date i have still not had a vehicle registration certificate despite it being around 5 weeks now. i do not believe that the seller has even notified the dvla of the changes and so i started making enquiries with dvla around 2 weeks ago to where i was told that they had received no requests for a vehicle registration certificate for the vehicle and so i started asking the dvla to interevene & investigate as to why the seller had not notified the dvla of the vehicles disposal & change of details as per required by law under regulation 22 of the road vehicle regulations 2002.

in turn i had expected for the dvla to atleast say that they would look into the matter because at the end of the day, the dvla is charged with keeping a register based on vehicles & their registered keepers to whome are responsible for their use and licensing on the roads and it is essential that all information held by the dvla on such registers is both accurate and up to date.

however and despite informing the dvla that i bought the vehicle and that the information they held was no longer accurate. the dvla has not been at all helpfull. neither will the dvla investigate my complaint about the seller not informing dvla of the changes and neither does the dvla show any signs of interest at all. this approach by dvla has left myself pretty shocked because everything that i have read on such failures to notify dvla of disposal comes across as being taken very seriously because its a criminal offence to not inform dvla immediately of any such changes.

therefore why am i getting these problems with the dvla ? i have told the dvla that i have had the vehicle in my possession for around 5 weeks now, i have paid for the vehicle and the registered keeper has no access to the vehicle whatsoever but despite this. the dvla is not at all interested in the registered keeper having failed to notify disposal to which is a criminal offence, instead the dvla is more interested in telling me that i can make an application for a vehicle registration myself at a cost of £25 to which im not going to pay because i should not have to.

at the end of the day, the dvla claims that it is a criminal offence for failure to notify disposal immediately and if the dvla was to do their job properly then the seller would be forced to update the dvla to which i then get the vehicle registration certificate as per my entitlement and then the seller is either fined or prosecuted for the offence of failure to notify.

in addition, whats crazy about all this is that the seller is responsible for my vehicle and even though the vehicle is my property & paid for.the seller can alter anything on the logbook or even declare a sorn without my knowledge & the dvla will let the seller do it because the vehicle is still registered in his name. therefore im sure you can see as to why i am so annoyed by this and im now seeking advice etc on where to go next and as to whether there is a governing body of the dvla to where i can file a complaint & report the dvla for its incompetence.

thankyou