The AA... may I sing praises please

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I am surprised to be writing this, having been at the sharp end of so much bad customer service from so many companies over the years but The AA excelled themselves for me today.

At 6.30pm this evening my husband and I jumped in the car, which had been on the driveway all day, to go to our vets to get our puppy who is ill and needed to be transfered to an animal hospital 30 minutes away.

Car wouldn't start - well it did, but there was something very wrong - we couldn't get off the drive.

We were going nowhere.

My husband got out and one tyre was flat as a pancake.

Big panic. I started wondering if I could call my Mum, in-laws etc but they live at least 45mins away, probably more in the 6.30pm traffic.

We looked but none of our neighbours were back from work yet.

My husband, not being into how cars work in any way, called The AA. Meanwhile I called a friend who lives locally but she was still at work, at least 30 minutes away. I called the vets to alert them of the problem, they said they would keep her on the drip a little longer but we really needed to make sure we did the transfer as soon as possible.

My husband explained the situation to The AA and they said they would mark us as urgent. The call handler he spoke to with really nice and understanding.

However, I started now feeling quite stressed because there was no one I could call on or anything we could do. I thought The AA won't care about a 7 week old puppy in a critical state. We were at home, not a single woman in the middle of nowhere on a stormy night. We'd be waiting at least an hour.

And then AA man phoned - he was coming - he was only 20 minutes away and gave my husband instructions to lay the tools out ready so the tyre could be changed pronto.

I washed the kitchen floor (as you do) and tried to think what else we could do. I still didn't trust The AA. Call a taxi which would cost hundreds of pounds maybe? The AA man said 20 minutes, they all say that, probably means he might be here in 40.

He arrived in 15 minutes and within 5 minutes the tyre was changed and we sped off. He posted the paperwork through our letterbox so we didn't even have to wait around for that.

:D :D :D I am soooooooo glad we have been members of The AA. They actually did what they said in the adverts and saved us in our hour of need. Thank you, AA, our tiny puppy is now safely in the animal hospital. :)

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I'm very glad to hear that - unfortunately my last experience with the AA was extremely unpleasant (broke down driving home from work at 11.15pm, finally arrived home and 5.30am) and not even receiving an apology I switched to the RAC who have always given stunning service.

Maybe they're improving again!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Neither the RAC nor the AA can have a 100% track record in terms of service, but I guess what set good companies apart from great companies is how they behave when things go wrong. Not even giving an apology is not acceptable... Many good companies see complaints as an opportunity to build loyalty and demonstrate that they care. I don't have any specific examples, but if they AA had apologies and given you a voucher for a weekend away in the UK I guess you would still be with them and raving about them.

Tony

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I'm quite often simple with complaints - an apology and an explanation of what they will do to try and prevent it occurring again is often enough for me. I'm not the sort of person to start screaming for compensation.

But that night even the company the AA had subcontracted breakdown services to were moaning about them and how their current attitude to service was causing them issues as well. And a policewoman (who stopped to check why a chap was sitting in a car by the side of the road at 3am) commented on poor service she had received too, as well as pointing out that if you have an accident they will charge for the recovery of your vehicle.

Mind you, this was back in 2006 so things could have changed. With these large companies I suppose it often depends on who you deal with!

Johnnyboy

Jan 18, 2009
Glasgow
I have always sung the praises of the RAC until about 3 months ago, my windscreen wipers gave up the ghost on a Saturday afternoon when the heavens decided to open up. I had to wait over 2 hours for the RAC to attend and when they did their mechanic spend 30 minutes doing this and that he even took the fuse box out "eh there's a dead short somewhere" duh! I thought I knew that from the way it kept poping fuses. He then informes me because of the size of my car he can't tow it and will need a recovery truck to come and uplift it (another 2hr wait).

When I took the car to my local garage I explained everything that had gone on including the removal of the fuse box. Approximately 20 minutes after leaving the garage my mechanic called and asked "did you say the RAC man removed the fuse box?" Yes I replied to which the mechanic replies "I don't know how he missed the burnt cable going into the fuse box your car will be ready in 20 minutes". Even though I get a discount through my job for RAC membership I'm seriously thinking of trying the AA in September

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I have nothing but praise for the AA. I have had to call them out about four times in the last year (I know, maybe I should think about changing my ebay bought car!!!) and they have always been fantastic. Because of being with three young children they have always arrived incredibly quickly and have managed to get things going, or one occasion had to call out a second bigger lorry to put the jeep on top of (the girls loved riding in the cab back to London!)- all done very smoothly and with a smile. And the AA man we used in France once was absolutely lovely - even giving me his jump start something or other as I was terrified the car wasn't going to start in the morning when we had to leave at the crack of dawn to catch a ferry.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for posting this great tale. Just spent a few hours with friends bemoaning over a glass of wine, all the organisations in Britain that are failing us as consumers, and it was all rather depressing. This is good. I too have had great help from the AA over the years. Hurrah!!!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Although I do now have to add that I read an article in the papers over the weekend that highlighted that the AA seemed to increase the cost year on year to loyal customers while offering new members considerably lower annual membership fees. Something to watch out for!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I've lost the article and can't now remember who was cited as the cheapest road side recovery. But there was a difference of about £6o between the AA and them. Your father might be on to something - complacency probably costs us all alot of money. That and laziness and not being willing to shop around. I'm going to try and find that article now!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I did notice the other day that my contents insurance has never got any cheaper. This is despite taking it out when I became a student in 2002.

I've never claimed on it, but after using a price comparison site I realised that as they have held the premium at my student rate (they're fully aware I've graduated) it's still LOADS cheaper than elsewhere, so can't complain.