Rights on damaged goods

PatriciaTrish

Sep 15, 2011
Hi,
I have bought an assignment of granite tiles from a company, quite of lot of these are badly damaged and unusable. I have advised the company, but they have told me that their terms and conditions state that I must notify them in 48 hours of any damage. They also say that a large red sticker is placed on the pallet stating "goods must be checked on receipt! in the unlikely event of breakages, these must be noted on the delivery note before signing". No red sticker was present. They also quote " It has a paragraph on the delivery note to inform the following: “The words unexamined or unchecked will not be accepted as a conditional signature received in good order and condition” and due to this we are unable to make a claim for you. The delivery note was signed UNCHECKED.

They are refusing to replace these broken tiles as it is three weeks since I received them. I was unable to secure a tiler until now, hence the delay in inspecting them.

What are my rights for a replacement, if any, do their terms and conditions apply and are they legal?

Thanks

Trish

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
PatriciaTrish

You do not say how many tiles were delivered. If there was a large quantity it would not be reasonable for you to examine them at the time of delivery particulalry as granite is heavy etc. If every one did this the driver would not get very many deliveries completed!

Signing the delivery note is receipt of delivery not of the goods being received in good condition. Having said that, you have a reasonable time to inspect them and the T&C's state 48 hours. I would suggest this is not unduly unreasonable depending on the quantity and when they were delivered. You unfortunately did not inspect them for three weeks and i would suggest that is too long. The fact that the tiler was not on site, is with respect irrellevant. If you had not secured a tiler for say 6 weeks then they still might not have been inspected.

I think the problem you have is not regarding the delivery note but with the time you have taken to inspect them. This is not what you wanted to hear I'm afraid.

I would try and negotiate with them nicely and hope they meet you half way.