Insurance claim, tale of woe, stand your ground

peterf

Sep 20, 2011
This is the abridged tale of a 16 month battle to get a fair settlement from a removals company who caused significant loss and damage to our possessions.

You can read the full story - well, another less abridged one anyway - at

How Clean is Your Blog?: All Moves Insurance Fraud

If you're having similar problems then read on... the overall message is stick to the facts, stand your ground, keep calm and never give up!!

And in particular, if you are looking for a removals company in Nottingham or Derby then you'll definitely want to read this.

In April 2010 we hired All Moves, a removals company from Arnold, Nottingham, to move house from Derby to Hartlepool. Because of problems with a house purchase, they took all our stuff into storage for a month.

The very short version is that they have spent the last 16 months trying to bully me into accepting £628 against a claim value of £3,778. In the process, they have actually committed insurance fraud by having their staff write witness statements to prove that I signed a contract which, stupidly, contradict each other.

In any case, whether I signed the contract or not, they were in a corner and tried to bully their way out. The insurance loss adjuster completely ignored all of the points I made about their 'evidence', and when their solicitor finally called me to threaten me and tell me to drop the small claims court case, I again pointed out the holes in their evidence. He said that his client, All Moves, had basically committed a criminal act of insurance fraud, hastily withdrew his threats and a few days later I received an acceptance of my reasonable offer to settle.

So... don't let them push you around, stick to the facts, read contracts. All the stuff that you already know, but you don't do because you take things on faith. And DON'T GIVE UP!!!