Best TV package deals for the digital switchover

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I found a useful article comparing the different packages on offer from Sky, Virgin and Freeview. To be perfectly honest, I didn't understand most of it, but I presume it would be useful to someone thinking of getting a new digibox!

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
That's very interesting! I was just surfing and found this website which may be useful to some people. A one-off payment and then you have access to all sorts of channels.

freesat - Features

I might get it when I move house in January !

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I am planning to ditch Sky and get a Freesat Humax PVR. This is equivalent to Sky+ High Definition which costs £100 and £27 per month - Ok there are a few less channels but most are absolutely useless. I am pretty sure you can use the Sky satellite dish and LNB (pretty sure that is the name of the device in the centre of the dish)

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Yes it says if you do not have a satellite already ( so I assume that means a Sky one is fine). You can get one installed for around £80 which is reasonable.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Is Sky worth it?

A Sky salesperson in the local shopping centre tried to sell me a Sky package - I had a Freeview brochure with me from a TV shop, so I was interested in a comparison with a person who should know.
When we sat down and went through the package being offered, it turned out there were only relatively few channels available on Sky which were not on Freeview. Radio channels were also available on Sky, but we both agreed that Sky could not show much value for money.
It was interesting.

Last edited: