Insure the Box complaint?

bishy

Sep 29, 2011
Was after a bit of advice...

Recently looked to get car insurance, and found Insure the Box were the cheapest, so opted for them, paid in full. Around £850 for the year.
The deal is that they fit a box to your car and this tells them whether you have been driving carefully-this then can lower your premium for the next year. It was stated that you had to get the box fitted within 14 days or the insurance becomes invalid.

Insurance began on 29th Aug. They set up the box fitting one time,about a week in, and then cancelled at the last minute. The time went on and it went over the 14 days. They said it didn't matter, they would fit it on the 17 of Sept and they wouldn't cancel. The guy who was fitting the box came to my house, tapped on my window (didn't think I was in, didn't see a car in the drive, so left a card). I found the card about 1 hour later, and called him back to say that I was in and could he come back to fit the box because my time had run out and I would get my insurance cancelled. He said he didn't try to rouse anyone as there was no sign of a car. He then said he couldn't come back today, but not to worry as he would ring the office and tell them not to do this. Lo and behold, on the 22nd of Sept I got an email saying that my insurance had been cancelled on the 20th.
I had been driving around for 2 days without insurance.

I called them up, spending the best part of a morning explaining my case. I spoke to at least 4 different people. In the end the 'office manager' called me. He basically said 'computer says no' -repeating that I was outside the 14 days, and that my insurance wouldn't be reinstated. He was unprepared to refund the the £30 cancellation fee either, (he did in the end as I wouldn't get off the phone). He said I could never have insurance with them again. ( I didn't want to at this point, but I was annoyed because I then had to buy more expensive insurance-about £150 more-a grand in total).

I hope all this is is clear, I would be thankful for any advice on this.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
bishy

Firstly its poor that they cancelled the fitting. secondly its poor thats a jobsworth came round tapping on windows assuming because the car was not on the drive no-one was in. Thats a case of 2+2=5!

You did have a contract with this company and so i would ask for their complaint procedure and follow it. When it reaches the end contact the Financial Ombudsman how to complain ? the first steps and start the complaint procedure with them. It may take a bit of time but companies have to understand that in this day and age they can't behave like Dickens.

Scheimann

Sep 28, 2012
I am extremely unhappy with the service that I was shown by InsureTheBox. Below is my official complaint that I sent to them (haven't received any reply back):

In summary: My experience with InsureTheBox has been nothing short of terrible. I cannot believe that a simple service can go wrong; at no point do I feel like an installation had been arranged for a convenient time in a professional manner. My car, which should have have had its Clear Box installed, does not. Despite the issues I’ve faced, I’m open to continuing my insurance with InsureTheBox, but expect you to contact me to arrange a Clear Box installation for this Saturday, 29th September.

Tuesday, 11th September
At 14:38, I called InsureTheBox (0333 123 1308) to find out more about Clear Box installations before purchasing insurance. The agent assured me that InsureTheBox can arrange a convenient appointment for a Clear Box to be fitted to my car. I explained that due to my work, I have to commute into London daily and the car is left at my home in SW London (there is no one at home during the day). Unfortunately, there is no parking at my workplace, so I am unable to take my car to work. The agent explained that in special circumstances, Saturday fittings are available and recommended that this would be the best option for me.

Saturday, 15th September
Purchased my insurance with InsureTheBox

Tuesday, 18th September
At 14:14, I received a call from the InsureTheBox Installations (0121 332 1234) to make an installation booking. After the agent proposed some weekday dates, I mentioned my previous conversation with another agent (11th September), explaining that a Saturday slot would be best for me. This agent stated that the engineers do not install on weekends and I will need to pick a weekday slot; this was a direct contradiction to what the other agent told me.

Despite this obvious contradiction, we discussed and settled on a date in a week’s time (Wednesday, 26th September); due to the nature of my work, I needed to request a work-from-home day which has to be formally approved, and the extra few days would ensure that request was approved. I told the agent that I am open to accept an early morning or late afternoon session. I clearly explained that I have a customer meeting which requires me to leave my home at 11:00 and return at 14:00, so I specifically requested a slot outside of those hours. The agent agreed and confirmed an afternoon booking for Wednesday, the 26th September.

Tuesday, 25th September
At 18:55, I received a text message from InsureBox confirming my installation. The text read: THE INSTALLATION OF YOUR CLEAR BOX WILL TAKE PLACE ON THE MORNING 26TH SEPT.ANY PROBLEMS RING 0121 332 1234.

Suddenly my afternoon booking had been changed to a morning booking without my notification, agreement or consent. Despite this, I thought that as long as InsureTheBox can honour my explicit request to have the work completed by 11:00, there should not be any issue.

Wednesday, 26th September
At 09:24, I called the InsureTheBox Installations and spoke to Justine; I wanted to confirm that the engineer would be with me shortly, in order for the work to be completed by 11:00. After I explained my situation, referring to my original booking conversation (18th September) Justine said that the engineer should be with me by 10:00 and if he is not, I should call back.

At 10:08, I called InsureTheBox Installations again, this time I spoke to Shane. I explained that I specifically asked for an installation time outside 11:00-14:00, was due to leave within an hour and there was no sign of the engineer. Shane explained that I was booked on at an early afternoon slot (starting at around 11:00); this didn’t make sense as it contradicts my text that I received the day before and my explicit note to the booking agent that I won’t be available due to a customer meeting at 12:00. He assured me that the engineer should be with me in the next 20 minutes.

At 11:11, whilst I was a train on my way to the customer meeting, I got a call from Dan, the installation engineer, saying that he’d just arrived to fit my Clear Box. After explaining that it’s not possible to fit the box as no one is at home, he confirmed that there was nothing in his notes about a special installation slot requested, pointing to an obvious communication breakdown.

In summary
This has been a failure on multiple levels (highlighted in bold); my experience with InsureTheBox has been nothing short of terrible. I cannot believe that a simple service can go wrong; at no point do I feel like an installation had been arranged for a convenient time in a professional manner.

My car, which should have have had its Clear Box installed, does not. Despite the issues I’ve faced, I’m open to continuing my insurance with InsureTheBox, but expect you to contact me to arrange a Clear Box installation for this Saturday, 29th September.

Regards, Scheimann

This complaint was sent by email to InsureTheBox Customer Service email, via Royal Mail to ITB Services Limited, 30 City Road, London, EC1Y 2AB and to Customer Services, insurethebox, PO Box 1308, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 2BF

Scheimann

Sep 28, 2012
For the SECOND TIME, I am extremely unhappy with the service that I've been shown by InsureTheBox. Below is a second official complaint, that follows on from my initial complaint (sent 26/09/2012). All the below is IN ADDITION to the first chain of events.

In summary
I thought my experience with InsuretheBox could not get any worse; I was very wrong. Twice now, InsureTheBox have completely and utterly messed up my Clear Box installation. I have been patient and followed all the necessary steps, and I cannot believe that a simple service can go wrong, twice! My car, which should have have had its Clear Box installed on two occasions, has not. I now expect InsureTheBox to get its affairs in order and contact me to arrange a Clear Box installation for this Saturday, 13th October.

Friday, 28th September
Following my first complaint (sent 26/09/2012), I received a call from InsureTheBox Installations (0121 332 1220) at 10:52. The agent told me that he was aware of the situation and was looking to book me in for Saturday 6th October for a Clear Box installation; this was accomodating to me and I accepted the booking. We confirmed the booking before the call ended.

At 13:38, I received a second call from InsureTheBox, this time from a Customer Service Manager named Daniel (0333 123 1308). He mentioned to me that he was sorry about the situation and wanted to ensure that I was happy with the plan going forward. He noted that an installation slot was booked in for me on Saturday 6th October, which I agreed I had accepted. I let him know that my concern was that we are nearing (or have passed) the two week period for Clear Box installations and this may affect the insurance. He told me that this would not be an issue and took an action to put a note on the system reflecting the situation.

Tuesday, 2nd October
At 11:41, I received an additional call from the InsureTheBox Installations (0121 332 1220). The agent stated that he wanted to book me in for an installation on Saturday 6th October; I mentioned to him that I am already booked in for an installation on this day. I asked him to check, and he confirmed that the system showed my installation booking.

Friday, 5th October
At 17:38, I received a text message from InsureBox confirming my installation. The text read: The installation of your clear box is scheduled for the afternoon of 6.10.12. If you have any problems contact us on 01213321220.

Saturday, 6th October
This was day twice scheduled and thrice confirmed for my Clear Box installation. I made myself available (morning and afternoon) and waited the whole of the day for the installation engineer. No one arrived to install the Clear Box. I did not receive any communication or phone calls to suggest anything untoward. Despite my situation, my official complaint letter and the communication between myself and various employees at InsureTheBox, the simple activity of an installation engineer turning up to my address on a specific day, completely failed.

Monday, 8th October
At 12:46 I received an email from Sarah Fawcett (Customer Service Manager), stating that “We have tried to contact you on a number of occasions regarding the fitting of a Clear Box telematics device to your car”. She went on to write that “If the Clear Box is not fitted in time, I must advise you that your Private Car Policy will be cancelled from 00:01am on 23 October 2012 in accordance with Section 11 General Conditions, paragraph 6 of your Private Car Policy”.

I consider this email plagued with fallacies and transferring the onus of this complete failure on me.

InsureTheBox have contacted me successfully three times since the 28th September to confirm that I will have a Clear Box installed on the 6th October, despite this - the engineer did not arrive and the Clear Box was not installed. I am not responsible for this, the accountability of this failure is wholly InsureTheBox.

In summary
This has been a failure not only on multiple levels (highlighted in bold) but also on multiple occasions (first complaint sent 26/09/2012). My experience with InsureTheBox has been nothing short of terrible. I cannot believe that a simple service can go wrong; there is obviously a serious communication breakdown and terminal culture issues within InsureTheBox and its Installations Service/Department. We are not curing cancer here, we are not setting up the next flight to Mars; we are installing a simple telematics box in a specific car, accomplished through a simple process.

My car, which should have have had its Clear Box installed, does not. I now expect InsureTheBox to get its affairs in order and contact me to arrange a Clear Box installation for this Saturday, 13th October.

Regards Scheimann

This complaint was sent by email to InsureTheBox Customer Service email, via Royal Mail to ITB Services Limited, 30 City Road, London, EC1Y 2AB and to Customer Services, insurethebox, PO Box 1308, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 2BF

grungeyfish

Nov 27, 2012
Scheimann, did you get anywhere with this complaint? I am going through exactly the same with this company right now(i.e. two failed box-fitting attempts and a cancellation. They gave me an e-mail address to send my complaint to (services@insurethebox.com) but i've had nothing back and can't get through on the phone lines and when I do, I'm told that there's nothing they can do! They're failing to accept any responsibility for their poor service!

It would be great if you could let me know how you got on and how you went about it!

Cheers!

Scheimann

Sep 28, 2012
Hi grungeyfish

I had sent each complaint by email (to that address) but also sent two physical versions to InsureTheBox:

In addition to that, I used their social media sites (Facebook and Twitter) to get through the noise. Good luck

Scheimann

karlmarks1

Jan 3, 2013
Hi grungeyfish

I had sent each complaint by email (to that address) but also sent two physical versions to InsureTheBox:

In addition to that, I used their social media sites (Facebook and Twitter) to get through the noise. Good luck

Scheimann
I also had a problem with this company although slightly different, paid the full amount £650, had the box fitted within 2 weeks no problem, & on a saturday, got a e-mail requesting my no claims discount which i scanned the documents and e-mailed straight back within 2 days. A month later got a e-mail saying my insurance had been cancelled 2 days earlier because i hadnt sent proof of no claims discount, they said they had sent numarous e-mails and a snail mail through the post to warn me of the cancelation. Yeh right!!
No e-mails in my in box & no post either. Took me 34 mins (on hold) to get through to someone after a long conversation said nothing he could do so hard luck!! 2 days later and 68 e-mails later refuned my money apart from £145 keep emailing them at least 10 times a day but still with no answer ref the rest of my money... Shower of s##T :mad:

My advice DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Go to the FOS with a complaint, they cover insurance companies.

We've had a few complaints about these clowns now, beginning to sound a bit like scammers who have found a way of conning people without ever providing insurance, avoid them like the plague is my advice.

davef

Aug 8, 2013
£600 For MOVING HALF A MILE!!!!!
I went with insure the box, and for 11 months not a problem and earned nearly 600 bonus miles for good driving. Problem being I had to move home. being compliant with the rules i called to insure the box to let them know I had moved down the road but still in the same postcode, (first three digits). they then told me i would have to pay a premium of £595.59 there and then or my insurance which i paid in full at the beginning would be cancelled. I asked to speak to the manager and she gave me the same bull !!! And yes pay now or we cancel your policy. extortion and I lost the chance of my no claims bonus for that year ina pitiful bid to bribe me to sign up for another year at extreme expense. STAY CLEAR OF THESE PIRATES!!!!

hopeithelps

Dec 13, 2013
Hi all,

I know a few people who work at this company and am in insurance myself. they are not "clowns" as the moderator has eloquently suggested.

But I do agree with him on one point... if you are unable to get anywhere with the company your only recourse is the FOS.

Bishy- it sounds like you need to go to the FOS- based on the facts you have provided you will need to go to the FOS to be reimbursed your money, but you will need a "final response letter" from the insurer before you are able to do so. However, talking to someone at head office (senior underwriter/ supply chain and process management) may make a difference. I imagine that they would not be pleased to find out that you have not been heard out.

DaveF- this is usally to do with ratings systems and risk as they are now computer automated. accident regularilty, risk of theft etc. I worked for an insurer where this happened when we were a new starter.. the benefit is the premiums can be changed very quickly- to pass on savings to the customer. the downside being sometimes the system can do this. BUT if you do not make more senior people aware of the issue... the potential errors within the automated rating system may never get resolved.

Karl Marks- same thing as bishy really.. read above. make a complaint ask for the head of claims name underwriting/ supply chain and email them directly. provide them with the facts and they should be able to assist you.

vishal3636

Aug 22, 2014
I am with them since past 1.5 years now. I reduced the number of miles i needed, keeping my 1st year's mileage in mind. I am about to finish my mileage but, I have about 1500 bonus mile on my account. I asked them to add them to my account and they said, they will take 2 months to do that!!!!!!!!!!

I am wondering which planet are my bonus miles coming from???!!!!

Dazzst

Sep 12, 2014
Hi,

My son took out insurance with Insure the Box in May of this year (2014) for his VW Polo. He's a student at Portsmouth University. ITB quote was competitive at £630 for a 12-month policy through Tesco Bank with me as a named driver. His driving record has been exemplary since the box was fitted.

Today I contacted ITB to advise of a change of address as he was moving to a new Uni house 250 metres away. They informed me that this would incur an ADDITIONAL premium of £730.00. Not £90.00 more £730 more!!!

When I questioned them they told me it was due to their computer saying that the new address was in a higher risk area. I'm not sure if anyone knows Portsmouth, especially the Southsea area but all the houses and roads look very similar and if my arm was in better shape I could throw a tennis ball between the houses.

I won't rant on too much but needless to say we cancelled, paid their penalty charges of £80.00 and have a new policy with Endsleigh Insurance which worked out at £920.00 for 12 months without the need of a box.

I hope this helps anyone, especially students living away from home, make a decision as to who they insure their car with. I would not recommend ITB to anyone.

Let the buyer beware.

Daz

JBK

Dec 3, 2014
Wow. Wish I had read these first. First time the box was supposed to turn up, no one came, and had the cheek to say I had said I wouldn't be home when I called them about 5 times. Second time they had promised me a late appointment and I got a text the day before saying an early appointment !!! That was Sunday. I just got in the car- it doesn't work and they won't pay for one of their idiots to come out, I have to pay and then they will decide if it's their responsibility. I'm so angry right now

lyes

Jan 8, 2015
dont ever trust insure the box company they will robe your money

Hi all,
See The email that i sent to insure the box complain service after cancelling my car insurance and robe my deposit.

Im writing to you to tell you how disappointed and frustrated I am after finding out!today!my car insurance has been canceled with insure the box
> I only started to run my insurance with you recently but I can tell already how careless and cruel organisation your company is.!
> I have arrange an appointment 2 weeks ago to fit in my box, unfortunately on that day I could not start run my car and member of your staff suggested to rescheduled for another appointment as I needed to give a car to garage.
> Then he told me that someone will call me to arrange for another appointment.!
> The time passed by but no one called.
> Finally , working busy all these days, I have founded bit of time to call and find out when can I make another appointment and also to pay instalment rate for my insurance, however I been told my insurance has been canceled as you have 14 days cancellation policy witch I wasn't aware!! A member of your staff told me you will contact me.!
> It is truly disappointing and disgusting you are treating decent clients like this! I'm absolutely thrilled and I expecting prompt response and explanation from the management team.!
> My deposit has been taken and gone, my car insurance has been canceled with no notice. I don't feel like valued customer , no one has called me, no one emailed me or send a letter. This is really appalling.
>!
> I'm expecting the full compassion of my deposit and a written email or letter from your management with resolving this issue.!
>!
> I'm expecting prompt response or I will take this further.

stable

Feb 13, 2016
Today I contacted ITB to advise of a change of address as he was moving to a new Uni house 250 metres away. They informed me that this would incur an ADDITIONAL premium of £730.00. Not £90.00 more £730 more!!!

When I questioned them they told me it was due to their computer saying that the new address was in a higher risk area. I'm not sure if anyone knows Portsmouth, especially the Southsea area but all the houses and roads look very similar and if my arm was in better shape I could throw a tennis ball between the houses.

I won't rant on too much but needless to say we cancelled, paid their penalty charges of £80.00 and have a new policy with Endsleigh Insurance which worked out at £920.00 for 12 months without the need of a box.