Advice needed

Nesbitt

Oct 5, 2011
Hi

I purchased a Sharp TV from a Firm called Makro 9 Days Ago

It had developed a hardware fault as confirmed by Sharp technical Support and they felt that a repair is far too soon to be the only option due to its age which i did agree with.

Upon returning to Makro with my TV thinking it should be sorted swiftly and efficiently i was advised bluntly by the store person that they do not accept returns over 7 days and i had to contact sharp.

Checking my consumer rights i found the sales of goods act that clearly states that if the goods do not conform to contact i can return within a 6 month period and it is up to the store to prove goods were not faulty from purchase.

However i was advised that they are a Wholesaler and not a retailer therfore my consumer rights do not apply to them.

This got me thinking they sell me an individuel Item and by definition the words wholesale indicating a sale of more then one item?

So i have to accept a repair can anyone help me with my dilemma?

Thanks! :(

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
Nesbitt

The sales of Goods Act 1979 relates to contracts between retailers (shops) and consumers. A wholesaler by definition is someone who sells to retailers which is why Makro asks to see ID for your business or proof that you are authorised to buy for the business before they give you a tradecard.

In reality, do they know that they have people who just buy for themselves?

In anycase they are not duty bound under the SOGA and they know this and take full advantage of the law. However I would have thought that they would replace goods like this as PR. It seems that you are not alone on this one!

The lesson is do not buy from Makro if you want to protect yourself under the SOGA. Their prices may be slightly? cheaper but they come at a price if things go wrong.

Sep 29, 2011
Hi there,

At Makro we pride ourselves on making every effort to ensure that all customers have an enjoyable experience when purchasing from us.

We are keen to discuss this matter with you in more detail.

Please drop us an email to makro[at]brazenpr[dot]com (using WC 05.10 as the subject heading.)

We look forward to hearing from you.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
Makro Online Help Team

I am gald that you are keen to discuss this matter in more detail with a forum member and I would hope that they take up your offer and the situation can be resolved.

I have to say though this is not the first time this issue has arisen and I think it only fair that maybe you voluntarily change your policy on returns and particularly the way your staff react to customers who return goods.