Dodgy practices by Vodafone PAYG mobile

eques

Oct 10, 2011
Dodgy practices by Vodafone PAYG Mobile Broadband

Joined this forum to point out something really dodgy carried out by Vodafone recently, from whom I have a pay as you go internet dongle.

I am on a budget and only use internet for basics such as hotmail, google, ebay etc. so 3GB a month for a £15 minimum payment seemed ideal.

But recently I noticed my broadband top ups were lasting a lot less long than before.

Next time I bought a top-up I checked to see how many GB were loaded on and sure enough it was only 2GB.

A call to Vodaphone today confirmed it. They have, just like that, cut the amount of data you get for your top-up by 33% but kept the same price.

Perhaps they thought no one would notice? They told me they sent a text notifying the change to all the dongle sims but I certainly didn't receive anything.

They also tried to tell me it was because the data gets corrupted at over 2GB. Oh yes? Why have they kept the price the same then?

Arrogant, greedy so-and-sos, how dare they?

eques

Oct 10, 2011
Hi Trickygj

No this was a pay as you go arrangement - the dongle has the sim in it and you just top up as you would for a phone.

I still don't think its acceptable to do that, though. Just cut the amount of data available by 33% but for the same price and hoping people would not notice.

It has actually made a big difference to what I pay for internet (well 33% to be exact!) and as I say I am on a budget.

Last edited:

eques

Oct 10, 2011
I certainly will do that.

But I wasn't mainly concerned with the legal position, just Vodafone's contempt for their customers.

jackomolight

Dec 21, 2012
Yes and unfortunately this kind of practices are common place nowadays among big companies like Vodafone, not to mention O2, Orange, Apple, Microsoft. The list is endless. It's just that they've grown to care about one thing and one thing only -> ripping off customers.