Worst customer service ever, do I have a right for compensation?

mm_1987

Nov 13, 2008
Just had the worst experience with an online company ever.

Basically there is this company decks.co.uk

I was trying to buy some DJ decks online where i found they had a "price matcher" clause, where they would match the price of any of their products I found on a different website by sending me a voucher code.

So they do this and I input the voucher code and it comes up with "your final price is £524.25" so im all happy waiting for my goods but then they call me up saying that they can only send the goods to my debit cards billing address. So I go to the bank and sort this out which takes me a good couple of hours.

Next thing I call them saying its sorted, they say one of the products is then discontinued, so they offer me a upgrade at the same price. I agree.

Next thing I know I check my bank account online and they have withdrawn £604.25, the amount I would pay if i hadnt put the discount code into the equation, out of my account so I call up to see what is going on there. They say there copy of the email they sent me says the final price to be that higher amount.

I say they must have a problem with their IT services because its wrong, they call me back 3 hours later saying the IT department checked and it seems that "I have altered this figure on my email and im trying to defraud them" the exact words, at this point im trying my best not to turn the air blue and tell them what I really think about them, instead I calmly inform them I will be contacting the police and a few minutes later the guy on the phone is trying to say he will refund me the 80 pounds in "2-3 days".

This would be all dandy however I havent got the 80 pound surplus in my account and now I am overdrawn for the next few days with no cash whatsoever.

What can I do in this situation am i entitled to compensation and who should I contact about this. I didnt want to take this fruther until they accused me of trying to defraud the buggers and now I just want to damage there reputation in anyway possible. :mad:

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
From the What Consumer guide to buying goods online:

"for goods and services paid for specifically in a distance selling context, you are automatically protected against fraudulent use of your payment card - whether this is a credit or debit card. If you ever find an entry on your bank statement for a sum of money that you did not authorise, in relation to something you bought online, over the phone or by mail order generally, you are entitled to 100% of the fraudulent amount to be recredited to you by the card issuer."

So I'd take it up with your debit card issuer - presumably your bank?

Good luck.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You should report them to Trading Standards, as they will put it on file and may take action.

Make the request to get your money back in writing making time of the essense, if that doesn't work your can do down the alternative dispute resolution route and finally the small claims court.

Tony