Interesting... Email ads may not work...

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I found this quite enlightening, if not too surprising...

UTalkMarketing - Consumers ignoring email marketing messages

While I understand the difference between Junk and targeted mail, i feel that both are generally unwanted. Through the post, junk mail gets binned immediately while targeted mail in 99% of cases follows suit. However with the post at least you feel someone has made an effort to acquire your address, even if you wish they hadn't bothered. With emails, and the proliferation of scams, spam and junk mail reaching epidemic proportions at one time, I always felt that mail that was potentially useful would just get lost in the sea of unwanted emails that just get binned immediately. It looks like this is seemingly the case.

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I read somewhere that one 1 in 12,000,000 spam e-mails are read. However, that is enough for it to be profitable...

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Apparently, the volume of spam has plummeted in the last few days, since the web hosting firm McColo has been closed down. The firm is believed to have had several clients who were "spamming gangs". One anti-spam firm has seen levels drop by 70%. However, it will be a temporary thing - the gangs will move elsewhere and begin all over again. So if your mailbox is quieter just now, enjoy it while it lasts!