Faulty Camera Lens

spguk

Oct 24, 2011
I bought an £800 lens back in Feb 2011. The lens developed a fault at the beginning of September (just over 6 months ownership).
This lens was sent back to the (reputable) retailer and subsequently sent to the manufacturer for repair. This was away for just under 4 weeks.
After having the lens back, 2 weeks passed and it developed the exact same fault. I sent it back asking now for a replacement lens as this one is not fit for purpose.
Having just rung the retailer, they have sent it back to the manufacturer again to be fixed (which I said I did not accept in the first place), and then tried to fob me off by saying its the manufacturer's decision to repair or replace it. Surely my contract is with the retailer anyway.

What are my rights now that this is just over 6 months old and is on the second repair for the same fault, before I ring them back and give them some grief?

Cheers.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
spyuk

You are right your contract is with the retailer.

This six month thing is a little misleading. It only matters if the retailer disputes the fault that the six months is relevant. If they do and it is within the six month period it is for the retailer to show the damage was caused by an external fault and not an inherent fault with the item. After six months you would have to prove it was faulty when you purchased it.

In your case they have repaired it once and now they are havoing another go. The law states that the retailer must either repair or replace the goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'. If the seller doesn't do this, you are entitled to claim either reduction on the purchase price or your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called 'recision').

Because you have had the lens for six months you have probably lost your right to reject it. However if they take another four weeks to repair it then this might be considered unreasonable particularly if you need it for work etc.

I would make it clear in writing that this repair is the last and next time you will insist on a refund.

Why don't retailers learn something about the business they are in? :confused:

Last edited: