race funiture

roxey64

Oct 24, 2011
Hello all, I bought a 5+2 draws from race for furniture for my son’s bedroom although a little flimsy I paid £109 and put it together myself.
after two months the bottom of the draws started to sag and eventually fell through to the next draw and then the next and then the next so three of the main five draws have fell in over.
looking at the base of these draws it is made from a hard board, not wood just a compressed 3mm board so I went back to the shop and asked them if there was anything that could be done like replace the bottoms they told me the manager was out(9-30am) and he would be back about 2-00pm that day but I could pay another£120 for a better set of draws which although look great are more than twice the original cost I was told the manger would have a look and tell me what he could do and ring me back.
After 3-30 pm that day i called back in, only to be told the manager said I had over loaded the draws bearing in mind these draws are only about 5inchs deep the only thing I could think of that might be heavy enough to over load them at that thickness is bricks?? He has t shirts and shorts in these draws and his school clothes. (Not heavy at all) but was told for another £120 I could buy the better ones.
I politely declined an showed my receipt and asked for a refund to which I was told you can’t have a refund you have overloaded the draws we can give you another set of the exact same draws but we will have to order them in as we don’t stock the item any more.
I told him that if the item is not fit for its purpose then a refund should be made and he made it quite clear that I would not get a refund and I could get whoever I wanted involved but I over loaded these draws and it was my fault.
I don’t complain but this manager really got to me and I asked them to sign my receipt to prove i had brought them back and date it and then I came hear any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
roxey64

Under the SOGA 1974 it is not for you to have to prove the drawers are faulty it is for the store to show they were fit for purpose etc and something else caused the fault such as overloading.

I would write to them requesting that under the SOGA you require a replacement of refund as they are not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality. Because of the length of time you have had the drawers it is debateable whether you could reject them but i would try that approach first. The retailer must either repair or replace the goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'. If the seller doesn't do this, you are entitled to claim either reduction on the purchase price or your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called 'recision').

If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, and they won't replace them either, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair it, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

roxey64

Oct 24, 2011
Thank you for your advice, theyhave offered me the same item as a replacement, but if this has happened once i can see it happening again with the same draws.
should i accept them and just see how they go?

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
roxey64

It comes down to fitness for purpose/satisfactory quality. I would make it clear to them that the if it happens again you will be rejecting them for that reason. If you know now they are unfit now then perhaps you should ask why this new set is going to be any different?