Paid for goods via paypal and im not covered

caz

Nov 16, 2008
Hello everyone ,
I brought some motorbike parts from a company off the internet for my sons chinese import bike, i paid for them via paypal and the money was taken direct from by bank account with my debit card. I ordered an upgrade engine kit and a sports air filter, the parts came to £96.90 and the postage was £16.50. When the parts arrived a few days later in a jiffy bag the parts were damaged :mad:. They were wrapped in thin foam paper, in a large bag.
My son sent them an email and no reply. The next day i phoned them, well the guy who i spoke to was very rude and said that he did not belive me and that i was lying !
He told me to email pictures of the damaged parts, and return the items to him. My son emailed the pictures and on the next day i re wrapped the parts in bubble wrap and put the in a box and returned it all in the jiffy bag which they came in. I sent this parcel by 1st class recorded delivery and it cost me £8.94. Half the cost of what they charged me.
2 days later i got a rude letter telling me that i had damaged the parts myself when putting them together and that they could not have been damaged in the post as the jiffy bag was not broken. The letter says that if i want to they can send the parts back to me to be inspected by a qualified vat registered garage and sent them a report at there findings,at my own expense.
I then phoned up my local councils trading standards and was told that they have to give me a refund as the goods are faulty, and as i paid with paypal to put a dispute in with them.
Ok so i put a dispute in with paypal, i waited a few days buy the company who i brought from did not reply. So i them decided to escalate the dispute so paypal could sort it out. After a few mins it came up with dispute closed as i was not covered by paypal :mad
I then phoned paypal to ask why ?
I was told that paypal does not cover you for faulty goods , they only cover you if you do not recieve them, but if you buy from ebay you are covered for everything !
Sorry for the long post but Im just so :mad:
Can anyone please help me ?
Caz

caz

Nov 16, 2008
Hi Glasgow Girl,
Thanks for the info, i think the only option is to take them to the small claims court. I tried the bank to day as Paypal is taken from my debit card ,but paypal have covered their self again as the money is take from my debit card ,but its taken by a direct debit. So i am not covered by the claim back on my debit card. The manager at the bank told me to contact paypal again as they are regulated by the FSA and i should be covered by them.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If I remember correctly, Paypal transferred their business to Luxemburg a couple of years ago, can't remember the details just now but I remember thinking at the time there must be a reason for it, there is a website dedicated solely to problems with paypal, i'll have a dig and get back later.

caz

Nov 16, 2008
Update
I sent the company a letter stating my rights as a consumer and that they had broken their contract, i told them they could send new motorbike parts which should reach me in useable condition or give me a full refund and If i did not here from them within 7 days i would send them a county court judgement to recover all my costs.
Today i recieved an email staying that i should recieve new motorbike parts tomorrow.
Thanks to all the people on this forum who have helped me.
Caz

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is great news Caz, but yet another example of traders ignorance or trying to pull the wool over consumer's eyes : (

oh carol

May 30, 2010
A lot of people have had trouble with paypal, my sister included, they just dont care! they have kept monies that are hers for no reason, they seem to favour the con artists!:(

Sazelle

Feb 2, 2012
Hi

I am just wondering if anyone can help me, in November last year I bought a Rosetta Stone software package from What I thought was an approved re-seller I should have been suspicious as it took 14 days to get to me and the seller was not answering emails. I raised a case with paypal who looked into it for me but the goods arrived, Unfortunatley my Lap top was not working and I have since discovered that it does not work so I called Roestta Stone for advise they informed me that the soft ware is counterfiet I contacted paypal who told me that it was outside 45 days and could not help me they reffered me to my bank, I called my bank who told me to contact paypal!!! is there anything I can do? thank you

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Report them to the police and trading standards?

Doesn't help much in the way of getting your money back tho, are they a UK supplier?

Paypal are useless as my son found out to his £400 cost after someone bought something off him on a hacked credit card account, wouldn't hold your breath for any help from them.

Ask your bank to try a chargeback on the money, assuming the supplier is in the UK, there are no guarantees on this but it's got to be worth a try.