Letting issue

somethingwrong

Nov 17, 2011
Hi

over 18 months ago my partner and myself completed the paperwork for our 3 bed house to rent paying over £1,800 in deposit and first months rent to a letting agent. We moved in and everything was fine all rent paid up to date every month on time.

13 months later we get a call from the letting agent saying that the payment we orginally made on the debit card had been returned and whilst they could not actually prove that the money had been returned there was a specific amount missing and this must be from our orginal transaction, at the POS the letting agent had to call to authorise the transaction which she recived a code for.

we have looked back at our bank statements and cannot see the money going out of the account or being returned it is as if there was no transaction in the first place, we are not well off and it was a real struggle to get the deposit and rent together to pay in the first place, there is no way that we would have not seen £1,800 in our account.

Because it is over 6 months the bank cannot trace the transaction on the card and we have no way of proving that we have paid the money.

Does anyone know where we may stand legaly?

Please, any advice wil be welcomed

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I fail to understand why you or the bank can't trace this payment through your bank account, either the £1800 went out of your account or it is still there, banks can provide statements going back 6 years, if you had this money in your account and now you haven't, at some point it will be shown in your transactions.

If you can't prove you paid it, you may well still owe it. You also need to ask the letting agent for a full statement from the commencement of the let, and you need to know why they have only just come up with this problem.