Orange 4.34% Price rise

Kevaldo

Nov 30, 2011
Can orange increase my mobile phone bill 4.34% due to inflation? I have never been given the actual terms and conditions at purchase (they never posted them) were they stipulate that they are able to increase my bill. Is this not a breach of contract due to the terms of our agreement being a fixed price and a specific fixed term? Does this therefore fall foul of the 'unfair contract terms' clause under the law of contract or it falls foul of the consumer rights legislation by not being explicitly pointed out to the customer at the point of sale?

Thanks Kevin

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
My son has an Orange contract, I'll check his T&C's tomorrow but they must have given them to you at the time you took out the contract or at least pointed a link to them if it was online.

Without seeing what's in them it's difficult but if your contract is £20 a month for 18 months with X minutes and X texts then that is your contract, end of......unless your T&C's say different.

Sharr76

Mar 22, 2010
I have a contract with Orange too and I have received a text message stating the same......

I bought my phone direct through the Orange web site and never received any T&Cs. I have the box, and delivery paperwork but no T&Cs......

Im sure Orange will be loosing many customers over this more so as
T-Mobile and Orange are owned by the same company, Everything Everywhere and it says there are no plans to raise T-Mobile monthly costs.....

An absolute joke.....

Sharr76

Mar 22, 2010
I have been in talks with orange this morning and they will not move on:

"for those who want to escape their contract, it is worth formally contacting Orange and telling it you believe the price hike is of 'material detriment' and you want to leave.

There is a slight chance the company will prefer to let some people go on an ad hoc, goodwill basis rather than risk having lots of people complain to Ofcom"

The guy also said that T-mobile prices will also go up and this is not just affecting Orange but all mobile phone providers........

What thay have done for me is reduce my plan down by one until my contract ends on the 7 March 2012.

Dai

Dec 2, 2011
ht tp://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/ga/general-conditions.pdf

Take the space out in ht tp to get the link

page 21 section 9.6 is nice reading if u wanna get out an say goodbye (or something like that) to orange

rj8994

Dec 2, 2011
Hi,

I have been really happy with Orange for the last 5 years and I don't want to really leave them, however it winds me up when they send you a text saying they are increasing the agreed tariff. Can I go to mortgage company and say oh I am going to pay 4% less on my mortgage or my employer and say pay me 4% more this month, no.

Three did it with me, they took paper billing away and then said if I want it back I have to pay, I signed up for this now you are changing the rules.

Why do they not just increase the prices for new contracts or can their billing system not cope with that?

The quoted pdf btw, is that a generic offcom recommendation or something you can use to beat them over the head?

Karl, on hold for an argument with customer services.

Dillan

Dec 3, 2011
ht tp://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms/pdfs/PAYM-terms-and-conditions-for-the-supply-of-Orange-Network-Services-20110215.pdf

Remove the space from the http and above link will take you to Orange's generic pay monthly T&C's. Page 5 deals with terminating your contract due to a change in Orange's terms. The salient points are that your contract can be terminated within their minimum term in writing at least 14 days prior to your next billing date if you feel that there "is an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment."

This however doesn't apply if they "have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period; or the variations we have made have been imposed on us as a direct result of new legislation,statutory instrument, government regulation or licence."

Hope this helps, I'm still contacting them to kick off and also getting in touch with ofcom. Although if their price increase is an increase in line with inflation then they're probably well within their rights to make us stick out he rest of our contracts.

Dillan

Dec 3, 2011
The increase of 4.34% is tracking well over 1% lower than the monthly rate of inflation for the last few months so according to their T&C's they're within their rights to increase their prices.

curlybell

Dec 5, 2011
Hi
I have just spoken to Orange, anyone who set up an account before 2008 will not be affected (until they renew their contract), although the woman did say she was glad that I called, so I am unsure (and her English was not quite good enough to get a proper answer) if you need to call them for this to be put into place. Their excuse for not informing anyone on this other than through text message was that they have too many customers to contact them individually. So one big mass text messages is what they went for, which to be honest is what has annoyed me so much.
You can complain to Orange by writing to them (no text messages i am afraid)
Orange
Correspondence Department
PO BOX 10
Patchway
Bristol
BS32 4BQ

Please feel free to quote that this year France Telecom earnings fell by 6.2%, but those Consolidated revenues for the first nine months of the year were 33.848 billion euros. (That is from France Telecoms own website).

Oh if you are thinking of swapping to another Mobile phone company please be aware that Voadafone dodged a tax bill last year of £1.6 million. Info can be found about it from the Uncut website
Hope this helps

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
My son wrote to orange to terminate his contract and was told as the rise was only £1.43 they wouldn't do it, fortunately my maths isn't that bad and I soon worked out that £1.43 was less than the 4.34%, sitting with him while he talked to them on the phone, we dscovered he was paying for a mobile broadband dongle that he has never ordered, never had and never used, paper bills, even tho they are all in the cuboard unopened and insurance that isn't worth the paper its written on so having cancelled all that, he's £40 in credit and his bill has gone down by £15 a month.

So while it may be a massive fail on the cantracting cancellation front, its a big plus that he made contact!!!