Faulty bed frame but mattress fine

Spinoff

Dec 3, 2011
I bought a bed package from Jysk which consisted of a metal bed frame and a mattress. I don't have a lot of money and their package deal was very attractive.
After a few weeks, the welds on the frame gave out and the bed collapsed.
Jysk replaced the faulty part immediately but, after a few more weeks, the welds on the new part also gave out.
I am now sure that the frame is poorly designed and of unsatisfactory quality.
I visited the shop this morning to complain and either get a refund or a more reliable replacement.
The options I have been given by the shop are:
1) a £53 refund for the frame only. The company say they will not refund the mattress as it is now used. £53 is not enough to buy another bed frame anywhere.
2) Pay an additional £150 to upgrade to another frame which will fit the existing mattress. I do not have £150 to spare.
As a result, I am now stuck with sleeping on the floor.
I believe that the company should refund the full cost of the entire package including the mattress as it was bought as a package.
Does anyone know what my rights are in this situation?

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
Spinoff

When you say bought as a package, does the mattress not fit a standard bed? Were they only sold together or did you just choose them from the same shop?
How much was the bed frame if you had bought it on its own?

Spinoff

Dec 3, 2011
Thanks for your reply.
The mattress is a standard, king size mattress and can be used with any king size bed frame. Jysk, however, have very few king size bed frame options.
Yes, they are available separately and, at the time, the bed frame was selling separately for £98.97 with slats, the mattress for £109.00.
When bought as a complete bed set, the price was £169.00.
Those prices have since dropped to £88.78 and £99.00 respectively and a complete price of £159.00.
I know that these are relatively small amounts but, at the moment, every penny counts.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hope you don't mind me finishing off trickygj .
Hi spinoff,
You may be unaware to this , but goods bought as a 'package' or 'bundle' etc , when returned or refunded, the entire package must be replaced, so in your case, the frame AND mattress , regardless of the fact that the mattress is used. (the bed frame is used too remember) :D

Also just while I'm here, I would suggest that you contact your local trading standards department to report the faulty bed, as that could potentially be a product safety issue (provided of course that the piece that snaps means that the bed becomes unsafe?)