LG 42inch TV being repaired yet again

kms

Dec 12, 2011
Bought the above LCD from Currys in 2009 along with a surround sound system, also purchased the Whatever Happens warranty..all in all it was not cheap
IAbout a year later we lost half the picture on the screen, called the repair line and they arranged for it to be taken away for repair, I then had to take a day off work to wait for it to be returned..they said they would arrive anytime between 8am and 8pm.

All seemed well for another 6 months until the same thing occurred again! Went through the same palaver again, taking days off work etc, plus we didnt have a TV again for nearly 2 weeks. I sent a letter of complaint to Currys telling them that I didnt think much of their poor customer service and that I still had to pay my Virgin TV package even though I wasnt watching anything. Currys then rang me and after a bit of wrangling they agreed to send me a £50 voucher as compensation.

Fast forward again until recently, when the same problem happened again with the TV!!!

I sent a letter of complaint again to Currys. They replied that the TV had to be reported through the repair company again. I had asked for a replacement TV as Im so fed up with the situation. No joy! Meanwhile, Ive bought a little cheap TV for £129, just so weve got something to watch

The courier took away the TV last Monday, Dec 5th and said that it would be returned on the 12th Dec. I arranged to stay home once again but couldnt believe it when I recieved a call on the 11th from repair company to inform me that they were waiting for a replacement screen for the TV and it was still with the engineer!!

At this present time I have no idea when they are going to return it and cant understand how Currys can treat their customers like this. I will never buy anything from Currys again

kms

Dec 12, 2011
Hi, re the post, can anyone suggest anything please, any advice welcome,...thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
This is covered under SOGA and as you have had the same fault repaired (or in the process of, this is not acceptable. SOGA says you are entitled to a repair or replacement if the item is not of satisfactory quality and therefore should be replaced.

Currys are not one of the better companies at complying with this act so you are probably better taking a copy of the relevant section of the act with you, if they waffle about it being out of warranty (i.e. over 12 months old), you should remind them you have 6 years to complain about the product and such an expensive item should be expected to last longer than the guarantee period anyway, this is where you statutory rights come into play.

For further detail of SOGA, see here: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/the-sale-of-goods-act/

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
kms

I think the issue you have is that because you have had the TV since 2009 you will be deemed to accepted it and therefore lost any automatic right under SOGA to reject it for a replacement.

The first time you accepted a repair. The second time you also accepted a repair and a £50 compensation.

You could try to get it replaced but the law does not give you an automatic right to this remedy. If Currys argued against this you would have to try and enforce it in the smalls claims court where you would be claiming the cost of a new tv. Don't forget that tv prices have come down and you would be getting the price of the same tv at todays prices.

You need to send them an email (head office) stating that the repairs are taking an unreasonable amount of time and causing unreasonable inconvenience for the third time. Your statutory rights under these circumstances are to agree further compensation (equal to a reduction in price) or return the goods and rescind the contract. This would mean that you return the goods and they provide a partial refund, calculated to reflect the benefit you has received from the product.

This does not always seem fair but it is only like when your 12 month old car gets written off and you get the value of the car at 12 months old and not new.

I would try in the first instance though as Witch consumer says and argue for a replacement.

kms

Dec 12, 2011
The Knowhow team have eventually replied, 16 days after they took the TV and luckily they cannot get a replacement screen so they are now sending out vouchers for a new TV
Its doubtful if we will get one before xmas though and the drawback is that we will have to go back to Currys to get another one
I will wait and see what the vouchers are worth, Im aware that TVs have gone down in price but I want the same spec TV as we had previously..without the faults
Would my warranty carry on with the new TV?

kms

Dec 12, 2011
Have just received a reply from the Knowhow team at Currys. We have been without the TV for 4 weeks and they eventually replied to an email today. They are offering vouchers for only £399, bear in mind we paid approx £800 for original. This does not seem fair.
Im still going to fight for compensation for time wasted and all the hassle

Can I ask for an upgrade in store when I go in to get TV?? Thanks for ay replies. Im at my witsend with Currys and now have to visit one of their stores

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Have a look on the Curry's website at the cost of a comparable TV, if you can get one of similar spec for the £399 then nothing lost, you will get anew guarantee with the TV. If you can't then you need to sort out which one you want that is the same spec and get back to them for the difference in vouchers. The extened warranty you purchased should entitle you to like for like replacement, don't accept anything less.