Digital Magazines from Asda on offer...

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I suppose it was inevitable that sooner or later the "hard" copy of the magazines would come under threat from the electronic age...

Asda launches digital magazines shop with free offer - Brand Republic News - Brand Republic

While probably a greener option, I can't help feeling that people who will use these magazines, will probably be the ones who sneak onto Facebook at work when the boss isn't looking. If I read a magazine, it tends to be when I am away from the PC and is often a form of relaxation away from it. Also a lot of people read magazines on journeys etc, which then renders this a little pointless, unless you are able to use your mobile broadband to download the magazine onto your laptop... which is all rather cumbersome compared to folding it up and putting it in your bag.

Still, a free offer is a free offer and I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it I suppose...

armiston

Nov 21, 2008
They're not very good

I think Asda are doing them with the same people as WH Smiths. they've put a lot of effort into promoting them, but they worse than reading a proper magazine and worse than reading a website - so you lose either way! Magazine publishers have been trying to get these things to work for years, but customers just don't like them!

Joe
magazinesubscriptionoffers.com

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
I agree, I prefer to have a magazine in my hand to help me relax after a hardday's work. I also read a lot and always buy a book to read instead of downloading an "e-book". Suppport these publishers I say! :)

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
One thing has occurred to me reading this and nodding my head in agreement with what people have posted...

Maybe we are the LAST generation to see things this way?

Maybe the next generation of computer users WILL get their magazines etc via the pc, and perhaps even eventually their mobile phone?

I am still of the ilk who uses their mobile phone for phoning and texting. That is it. The rest of my time, my phone is redundant. I think I have taken about 20 photos with it since I got it and I don't think I've ever used the internet feature on it for anything at all.

My sister on the other hand seems to run her life via her phone(s). Yes she has two for reasons I am yet to fathom. I can see this generation of 18-22 year olds and younger perhaps seeing this as a good thing... Especially with these newfangled Iphone gizmos which seem to do everything bar make your cup of coffee in the morning.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
There was a site I used many years ago while overseas that allowed you to read the UK daily papers online. I guess it is the same technology, not as good as a website and not as good as paper, but you put up with a lot when the content is good enough or cannot be accessed in any other way.

Most mobile phones work with Operamini which is a great little browser, worth a try Jourmian. Check your tariff though - I pay £7.50 a month for 250mb more than enough for a mobile phone. I occasionally use my phone to post on this site.

Tony