mis-selling of product?

poodies

Dec 19, 2011
Hi there,
Hoping someone can help me. I ordered BT Vision a few months ago. I had alot of problems with BT but after checking my aerial installation I was informed that I can only get 2 channels because the area I will in (the council are the leaseholders) hasn't switched over to digital, and won't be until April 2012.

Wouldn't BT be aware of this? My broadband and landline are also through BT. Is this illegal or at least mis-selling? Is there protection against this?

thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Its BT Television, well no actually its everyone elses television broadcast by BT.

This is a bit like Virgin installing cable in a house that hasn't any cable running to it, wouldn't happen would it?

You need to check your terms and conditions but you should receive what you pay for, the 'engineering' bit and checking availabilty in your area should be something they would do, not something they should expect your average Joe to do.

I would be looking to cancel for their misselling, assuming they have offered you other channels as part of your plan,

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
poodies

From what I can see BT Vision isn't only to enable you to get Freeview. This is a section for BT's FAQ's.

BT Vision connects to your TV using a SCART or HDMI cable (supplied). You'll also need a television aerial to connect to your Vision+ box so you can receive Freeview digital TV and radio channels and benefit from the Personal Video Recorder (PVR) function – with up to 80 hours of space for recordings of your favourite TV shows
To get the Freeview channels, you'll also need to be in a Freeview reception area (you can check this at Freeview / Home). If you can't get Freeview TV, you'll be able to use BT Vision's on-demand and interactive services, while getting regular TV channels through your TV aerial. However, you won't be able to use Personal Video Recorder (PVR) functions, like pausing live TV and recording up to 80 hours of TV programmes.
Unless you specifically requested that you wanted it to get Freeview i don't believe you would be able to cancel as it was not mis-sold. The service is not specifically for Freeview.

Caledonia27

Jun 20, 2013
Hi I too was miss sold bt vision when I was sold it in 2008 it was on the understanding that I could watch pause and record live tv when I asked them if I needed freeview for this service as if I did it would be no use to me the customer service agent told me you dont need freeview for this you just connect it to the internet using the adapters supplied well I got the box and was shocked to find I needed freeview and when I tried connecting to the box despite following bt instructions the two adapter did not sync with each other and therefore the box could not connect to the internet at all meaning the service was useless. When I contacted bt I was told by bt as I had not cancelled it within 14 days they would not cancel the contract even though I did not get the bt vision until about the 15th day from entering the contract. I checked scottish law and it states that anything said during the sale that leads a customer in to believing they will get this service forms part of the contract of sale even though it may not be in the actual written contract therefore failing to deliver this service in my case the ability to watch live tv without the need for freeview is a breach of contract. They sold it to me on the understanding I would get to watch pause and record live tv without freeview and even when they where asked about needing freeview they stated this was not needed and therefore is a deliberate breach of law. It seems from research I have done online that bt have making all sorts of claims to sell bt vision telling some you dont need freeview to watch pause and record live tv and also telling other oh this channel is included or that channel is included or sky 1 and 2 are included when they were not.

My Apologies for any spelling mistakes I am in fact dyslexic.

If they sell you something with the promise it will do x y and z they are duty bound to deliver what they said at that time.