Vodafone- would not know customer service if it hit them in the face

right2write

Dec 22, 2011
I was with Vodafone up until perhaps a month/6 weeks ago. I had always heard about their shoddy customer service. I transferred over to Orange and I had some payments due with Vodafone which I knew about. However, the money was just sitting in my account and they didn't take it...few weeks later, along comes a letter :confused: "why haven't you paid, we're seeking legal advice, blah blah blah." So I rung them up..."why didn't you take my money and why has the amount I owe doubled?" I then found out it was because of my data usage :eek: and I told them well...I rung the number I was told to ring for balance enquiry and the amount they gave me to what I'm being told now is completely different...I was then told well the charges have been itemised and listed online and to that I said, I don't deny the usage, but I only carried on using the phone because I was told I hadn't gone over my limit yet. Had I known or had I been accurately told what I had used at the time, I would have switched my sim card straight away, seeing as I had already begun my contract with Orange. Anyway, this carried on for like half an hour, (after I'd been once cut off and been told by an adviser that seeing as I had gone over the limit once before, I should just accept the situation as it is).

I just want to know whether I'm stuck with this bill or not, because quite honestly I was caught off guard by the amount. When I checked via 191 (balance enquiry) they didn't tell me I owed any large sums of money and Vodafone refuses to accept the fact that they had a responsibility to tell me, when I had asked at the time, the correct and accurate amount I owed. They just kept saying, well you used it so you should pay for it. I don't know if I'm making any sense here, or maybe I'm just being unfair, but if I had known I had gone over, I would have stopped, but the fact was when I checked at various points of my usage, they never once told me I owed anywhere to what I apparently owe now. Is there any way I can solve this in a more favourable way to me?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
What you do is send a complaint into Vodaphone in line with their complaints procedure and ask them for an itemised account in print.

I take it your Vodaphone contract was still in force when you took out the Orange contract? was it a case of 30 days overlap.

You may also want to send them a Subject Access Request which means they have to give you all the information they hold on you and your account, this will give details of your calls to them when you queried outstanding payments.

Finally, If you had terminated your contract, they would be unable to take the money from your account, they would no longer have authority to do so, they should have sent you a final itemised bill with a due payment date for you to make the payment by card over the phone or via internet banking.