Brown to cut VAT

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
...and indeed he has done, by 2.5%. I wonder how retailers will react to this. If they just cut their prices by 2.5%, we'd end up with lots of funny prices like £10.42 instead of £10.99. So the question is, will they round up or round down?

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I'm wondering that myself. I think there have been so many price cuts in the retail trade recently I'm not sure what we'll see the VAT effect on. Food doesn't carry VAT anyway.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 6, 2008
There is no guarantee that the VAT savings will be passed on to consumers. A friend of mine told me that in Portugal the government abolished VAT on gym membership and most didn't pass on the saving.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Some firms are getting in early and reducing their prices now - my partner received an email this morning from an online retailer he's used before, advertising that they are implementing a 2.5% price cut from today rather than waiting till Monday. It's not worth much, but I think retailers are just desperate to do whatever they can to get people buying.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have been receiving mails from IT companies to see if any extra IT resource is required to make the changes. They are trying to make out it is the next Y2K.

I think retailers are worried that people won't spend this weekend waiting for the decreases - a taste of what deflation would be like. I know boots are offering extra advantage points this weekend probably to offset this effect.

Tony