faulty fitting of windscreen

lilianne

Jan 11, 2012
Hope someone can give some advice. A short while ago our car would not start, it was towed to the garage and after testing I was told that the Control Unit in the dashboard had packed up due to water damage from a leaking windscreen.

The windscreen had been replaced about 16months ago by a well known company but presumably the glue used did not set properly in a small area at the base of the glass and water has been slowly seeping in.

I now not only have to replace the windscreen but the cost of the work and control unit will come to appx £2,000. My question is am I able to go back to the windscreen company and claim the repairs from them or would they only be liable for the windscreen but not the ensuing damage?

Any advice would be most appreciated !

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
They would be responsible for the damage caused by a leaking windscreen, however after 16 months you may have some problem proving it was their fitting that did the damage, unless the garage can prove this is water ingress over a prolonged period of time, I suspect they will try and duck it.

lilianne

Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for your reply. The garage have done 2 hose tests, the second one after the dash board had been removed and are very sure that the faulty seal on the windscreen is what is causing the ingress of water. As it is only a small area they think it quite feasible that the water has slowly seeped through. The area where it is coming through is on the passenger side and the control unit is on the driver side but as water finds its own route they beleive that is the reason it has taken this long as it was probably small amounts of water over a long period.

Having said that, we did notice a musty smell in the car but could never find where this was coming from, checked all door seals and carpets etc and no dampness.

I am sending a copy of the report and quote to the company and hope I dont have a battle, would this come under the sale of goods act ?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Yes it would, in particular you should suffer no detriment due to the provision of faulty goods or services.

You may not have a problem, we had 2 windscreens replaced at work with faulty workmanship and they ripped out the dash in one and the roof lining in another and replaced them at no cost, it was immediately apparent though.

Glassman

One of the better known windscreen suppliers guarantee their work for as long as you own the vehicle. As far as I know, the other nationally covering providers offer a three year guarantee.

Proving your claim will be key insofar as if the work is done, they will need to be notified as soon as the problem is identified. Due to time constraints, and in their absence, it is a good idea to have as many images taken as possible (to support the repairer's report).

You would not have known the newly installed windscreen had a problem until something like this happened and this is one of the biggest problems in the industry: you look at the finished product - a new windscreen - and everything would appear to be fine... until...

Good luck (some legal advice may well be in order too).