Are you the victim of bad builders?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
ARE YOU THE VICTIM OF BAD BUILDERS?

A new BBC television programme is looking for people across the UK whose lives and properties are currently in a state of chaos or disruption thanks to ‘cowboy’ workmen.

This is your chance to get the job finished properly – and call to account the builders, plumbers, electricians, roofers or joiners responsible for the problem.

Please leave a telephone message or email Mentorn Scotland and we will be in touch for a confidential discussion.

Tel: 0141 331 7455

email builders@mentorn.tv.

If emailing please include your location and name in the subject line.

DawnE

Sep 8, 2009
Hi,

has anyone heard of a company called Gateway Developments (Colin Rose, Carl Willock, Wes Simpson) from Winsford, Cheshire?

Contracted to build a full dormer loft conversion - ruined our house, flooded it three times, walked off site, not structurally sound, it's a long list.

If ANYONE can help at all - please get in touch. We have opportunity to seek reparation but need to find other 'victims' of the same firm.

Please get in touch

london

Sep 23, 2009
London
www.robuild.co.uk
Hi,

has anyone heard of a company called Gateway Developments (Colin Rose, Carl Willock, Wes Simpson) from Winsford, Cheshire?

Contracted to build a full dormer loft conversion - ruined our house, flooded it three times, walked off site, not structurally sound, it's a long list.

If ANYONE can help at all - please get in touch. We have opportunity to seek reparation but need to find other 'victims' of the same firm.

Please get in touch
I work in Constructions and I think you need to get an independent report and a solicitor. Also try and speak to the builders first, they should be inssured

DawnE

Sep 8, 2009
Hi London,

thanks for the reply. We had an independent survey come in and assess the damage - hence the knowledge of need of a rebuild. Solicitors have been involved but the builders no longer respond so we are left with court action at a cost of £7 - 10,000 to put this before the courts.

We can't re-mortgage because we are in negativity equity as a consequence of the builders and I have no idea if they were insured. If they were they never offered it up.

We need something short of a miracle - or to identify other people who have used the same firm then we can go on the TV show 'Cowboy Builders' and seek restoration and some restorative justice there.

For us it's a nightmare left with loans that should have only been short term in a position where we can neither save, nor borrow.

Do you know any angels?

london

Sep 23, 2009
London
www.robuild.co.uk
Hi London,

We need something short of a miracle - or to identify other people who have used the same firm then we can go on the TV show 'Cowboy Builders' and seek restoration and some restorative justice there.

For us it's a nightmare left with loans that should have only been short term in a position where we can neither save, nor borrow.

Do you know any angels?
Hello DawnE

I can tell you something for sure ; the shows you see on TV are absolute rubbish. Just now I have been watching a blonde girl pretending to be an expert in the building industry and a guy behind her was wallpapering a wet plastered wall in the background.

I wonder if anyone checks what those wanna be celebrities - shows leaves behind.
You should use legal means and not TV shows

regards

blacksausage

Oct 16, 2009
We have recently had a new kitchen fitted but have withheld 25% of the total cost as we have snagging issues that we want fixed before we pay in full. The main issue is that we asked for our floor to be leveled and it has not, there is a 30mm difference from one end of the kitchen to the other and to add to our problems the floor is not flat. The builder has tried to level it by laying different thicknesses of plywood but in turn has created a wavy effect meaning that the tilers cannot lay the tiles flat. The tilers have returned 3 times to try to relay the tiles flat and now say they are not coming back as there is nothing more to do. Our kitchen fitter claims the floor tiles are not flat because we walk on them before the adhesive is dry. The tilers work for our kitchen fitted and say they do not want to get involved but have told him many times that it is the floor to blame.
The other issue is that the plasterer (brought to the job by the kitchen fitter) has plastered over our old wallpaper instead of removing it, now plaster is peeling off our walls.
He is threatening to call in the debt collectors to get his money but we feel we should not be paying him for such bad workmanship. Who decides whether we are, just looking for faults so as not to pay him, as he suggests or whether we have a legitimate complaint and are well within our rights to withhold money from him?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You need to be careful retaining money unless there is a snagging retention clause in the contract. If you do this you are in breach of contract and ha can call in a debt collector.

It is a question of quality:

What is the legal definition of quality | Consumer Information

If he doesn't agree to fix it you need to get someone independent for a professional opinion and make a small claim for the cost of the remedial work - see below.

Tony

Helen121178

Mar 26, 2010
I'm not sure where i stand but i am in a stupid situation and under normal circumstances i am usually very good with receipts / contracts etc.
I'll try be as detailed but breif as possible......

Basically 24th October 2008, i paid £1000 to a builder who lived across the road to start work he had agreed to do on my property. (He told me he would get me a receipt, and only living across the road i thought it would be ok.)
This included, putting a pitched roof over the current flat roof of our extension, putting a canopy across the front of the house, replace the sofits and facias, and to fit a supplied kitchen, including tiling the kitchen floor and walls. He was charging me £2900 for this work.
Work commenced within a day or so of me paying the money on the canopy but unfortunately, a few days later his wife committed suicide.
Of course, the whole street was shocked by the events, and he and his family were devastated. As a result, the receipt was never received. He asked me over explained the situation, and said he would continue the work if i was happy to wait as soon as he had sorted things out at home.
He then did some more work on my house, and explained that as his wife had committed suicide, his bank accounts had been frozen so he was unable to purchase any more material, in hindsight now, i foolishly paid him a further £250 on 14.11.08, and a further £500 on 24.11.08 again not receiving any receipts, but as he lived across the road and i knew his circumstance in regards to his wife, i told him to take his time to get over the death of his wife and to carry on once Christmas was out of the way.
In August 2009 he met a new lady friend and moved in with her, renting his property out.
The canopy has been put up, but is leaking, and there is no lead flashing.
The kitchen roof was put up, again no flash lead flashing, tiling is not complete, and with the rain i now have damp in my kitchen. I called him regarding this and he sent someone round who basically just put some facias over the wood.
The tiling of the kitchen is only half down, and what he has done is neither level or remotely straight.
I've now noticed the hole that he cut to put the sink into the work surface is too big, so there is about half an inch gap in the work surface at the back of the sink.He removed the down pipe from my next door neightbour so now when it rains it is wetting both my neighbours and my external walls.
Over the last month i have left countless messages, and he has over the last 10 days stopped returning my calls in regards to when he was going to correct the work done, and complete.
He is due to move back into his property end of April/Start of May since the new relationship has broken down.
Due to the leaking and damp, and of course him now not returning my calls, i was so concern of what has been done either causing more damage in regards to damp, i have called a roofer who visited yesterday.
He has given me a whole list of problems both with the kitchen roof (basically all of the tiles have got to stripped and put on, along with the guttering being replaced, and next doors down pipe etc.
He explained that there is a slight bow in the canopy out the front, something he would expect to see on a canopy that had been up approx. 30 yrs, the tiling that had been put on was too far apart so could cause leaks, but without totally stripping it down it would be very hard for him to quote how much to repair the bad state or work done.
He advised, that as the kitchen roof was more critical than the front, that he will quote me on this, and then look for the current builder to correct the front when i eventually catch up with him when he moves back in across the road.
Would you know if i can make a claim for damages both correcting the work that i am going to have done on the kitchen roof, and issues caused as a result of bad workmanship - ie damp etc?
My partner has ended up tiling the wall in the kitchen, and is going to finish the floor as to be honest we are just sick of living in the mess!!

Can anyone please advise how i stand and what my best cause of action should be. TBH i am reluctant to let him do anymore work because of the state of what has already been done, so would feel happier to basically write to him advising my issues and that i no longer want him to do any further work.................any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

reeftv

May 10, 2010
Well we might be able to help. We want to hear your stories for a brand new BBC show, where celebrity experts will be helping resolve consumer complaints and grievances.

On Saturday 22nd May from 10am we are inviting you to come down to our CONSUMER ROADSHOW at Whiteleys Shopping Centre, Queensway, London, W2 4YN (Nearest tubes: Bayswater or Queensway). Our experts will be meeting members of the public who feel they have been treated unfairly as a consumer and are seeking compensation.

We can dish out advice, and our celebrity experts will be looking to take some cases on themselves to guarantee your money back.

So don’t suffer in silence anymore – come on down with your evidence (letters, photos, or anything that backs up your case). It may just be worth your while.

Please drop us a line with your stories to christina.schultz@reeftv.com or call us on 0207 539 2026.

Streetwalker

May 16, 2010
London
Any chance of doing a programme on bad customers ? Programmes like this give decent builders a bad rep and make customers twitchy. A balanced view should be aimed for ,something that the BBC has failed misserably to do in the past when covering many topics.

badbuilder

Nov 28, 2010
My builder has wrecked my home inside and out. The so called guarantee scheme has not protected me after 11 meetings and over a year in rented accomodatin for a 6 week job my heart is broken. Both my children have special needs and all their dla is paying the rent.ive photos ,videos letters everything and this builder contiues to wreck my home and turn up when he pleases. I am taking control now after turning up on thur and finding his two boys errect a scaffolding -pretending he was taking all the boasted render off the bk wall-instead when i returned to see somebare brick the bad builder had slap dashed over the top of faulty redure and left his tub of glue behind. There is too much to type.

badbuilder

Nov 28, 2010
There should be a place where legitimate complaints can be put on line and a new customer checking for builders could see if they are about to employ a bad builder from the list and also a list of pending complaints. My builder seems to chop and change names so there should be some legislation to show if they traded under a different name before they must state this name.

CowboyTrap3

Feb 9, 2011
BBC 1’s Cowboy Trap is returning for a third series and we are looking for people across the UK whose lives and properties are currently in a state of chaos or disruption thanks to ‘cowboy’ workmen.
If you have been victim, or know victims of ‘cowboy builders’, then get in touch NOW! This is your chance to get help them get the job finished properly.
The Cowboy Trap Team!
020 7258 6724

Cowboy Trap 3

Feb 24, 2011
My builder has wrecked my home inside and out. The so called guarantee scheme has not protected me after 11 meetings and over a year in rented accomodatin for a 6 week job my heart is broken. Both my children have special needs and all their dla is paying the rent.ive photos ,videos letters everything and this builder contiues to wreck my home and turn up when he pleases. I am taking control now after turning up on thur and finding his two boys errect a scaffolding -pretending he was taking all the boasted render off the bk wall-instead when i returned to see somebare brick the bad builder had slap dashed over the top of faulty redure and left his tub of glue behind. There is too much to type.

Hi I'm contacting you from BBC 1's consumer show Cowboy Trap. It's a show who aims to help people who have been affected by cowboy builders and help by getting reputable builders to complete ot fix the work. If you still need work done please get in touch. Call 0207 258 6724

Martin :)

AndrewHG123

Mar 4, 2011
I literally had my head in my hands this afternoon. Didn't know anything was going on. Went home and found part of my roof peeled back by the next door builder!

The builder even skipped my tiles from a height so I can't even have them back on the roof. My Friday is pure despair

No word from my neighbour either. Note: never buy a terraced house :(

Michalis

May 29, 2011
I purchased a new built apartment and I noticed that there is a strong noise coming from pipes of the upper flats. I reported the case to NHBC as it has a waranty for two years but I ring the developer builder and he does not answer the calls . The apartment is in a convenient location but the construction not so impressed.

Sometimes I hear footsteps on the uuper flat which is not normal .

I was new to the UK property market and one of the reasons I wanted to buy a new property is to avoid all the poblems of second hand homes with renovation etc . Also I spent time abroad and I did not have much time to inspect the property prior to the purchase . The thing I select this one and not another is because of the location close to town centre and railway station .

On the internet I did not find much about the developer as it is incorporated in 2002.

elizabethblack

Jul 29, 2011
hello my name is liz,
I have also had a case of bad builders from this company. My house is in ruins and i have paid out a lot of money but there is many more devastating problems that need to be fixed urgently. House upstairs collapsing into down stairs! Bad labour been preformed at my home.

elizabethblack

Jul 29, 2011
Hey i'm liz,

We have something in common my house has also been left in ruins with the upstairs falling onto downstairs. If you would like to get in contact please reply with your email address. Many Regards Elizabeth Black;

nixon

Aug 25, 2011
i hope there is somone who can give me some advise , Our builder has not contacted us for 14 days , he's phone is off and not answering our messages , We have found out where he lives and left a message . Can we get the police involved if he dosnt phone? we are getting worried as hes been paid to finish the job by cheuqe and used up most of our savings
Thanks Wendy

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
i hope there is somone who can give me some advise , Our builder has not contacted us for 14 days , he's phone is off and not answering our messages , We have found out where he lives and left a message . Can we get the police involved if he dosnt phone? we are getting worried as hes been paid to finish the job by cheuqe and used up most of our savings
Thanks Wendy
how much money does he owe you?