Fit for purpose

jeffandyve

Jan 16, 2012
I have recently purchased a second hand car, (3years old) with a years warranty,the car only returns 11-14 miles per gallon a full tank returns 144 miles, this is half the mileage that i expected. I have carried out extensive research and the car should return a minimum of 24mpg plus (town)
The Main dealer i purchased the car from have had the car back twice to ascertain and rectify this problem but have not resolved it. My question is can i ask them for a refund stating it is not fit for purpose. what should i do next?

jeffandyve

Jan 16, 2012
I recently purchased a second hand car from a main dealer with a warranty.The car in question only achieves 12-14 miles per gallon and a full tank return a mere 144 miles.
The main dealer has had the car back twice to rectify the problem agreeing with me that i should obtain nearly twice as much mpg figures. However the problem has not been solved
Extensive research claims that this make and model should return over 24 miles a gallon!
what rights do i have on this issue with regards a refund?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
He obviously admits there is a problem with the car that he cannot identify and repair, he should therefore be willing to take the car back, however I'm not sure he is legally obliged to do so unless he sold the car by quoting the correct mpg, in which case it would have been mis-sold.

Have a chat with him, if he refuses, come back to us, in the mean time I'll do a bit of research. (a car being fit for purpose should start, travel and stop apparently, that is its purpose and it must do so safely)