Panasonic Plasma and Amazon

Rod S

Jan 21, 2012
Top of the range (for the 42" size) purchased just over a year ago.
Partial screen failure followed quickly by power supply board failure.
13 months and 28 days from being delivered.

Panasonic don't want to know as it's over 12 months old.

Amazon offered a gift voucher of less than 20% of the value and, although I have pointed out the EU directive on electrical goods and Sale of Goods Act (merchantable quility, ie durability) and my right to repair/replacement/refund, they catagorically state that the legislation does not apply as it did not fail in the first six months.....

I have entered a claim through the Small Claims Court but am unfamiliar with the process now it is "online".

Last time I used it, it was a physical appearance after providing a detailed written submission.

With the online version it just asked for a brief description then took my money. I assumed it would then ask for a detailed description of my claim but I just got an email saying they would respond in two weeks.

Is this normal ???

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Yes it is, if you think back to when you used a hard copy of the claim form, that too only gives space for a brief description of your complaint you get the chance to provide more details later in the process.

I think the SCC has realised that many claims are settled upon service of the claims form and the system appears to be designed for exactly this reason!

In relation to your complaint, after a period of time, a company can offer you a refund minus an amount for the use you have had from the product so Amazons offer may be reasonable but I'm not sure I agree with the vouchers. It is quite possible you may get a TV with a similar or higher spec for 20% less than you paid for the first one as the price of TV's has dropped over the past 12 months.

Rod S

Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for the very quick response.

I'm glad about the information bit - I've emailed the Online claim court address (their phone helpline is Mon-Fri only) but it says up to 5 days to get an answer.

To be on the safe side I've written a detailed version and will post it to Amazon at the address I provided for them on the Small Claims website with the Court claim reference number and see if I can get an address for the Court "website" to post it too as well.

Re the offer from Amazon it was 20% of the original value, not 20% off.....

The price 14 months ago was £600, they offered £120 in vouchers or £90 as a direct refund.

I agree with the principle of a reduction for the 14 months use but not an 80% reduction !!!!

Also the current price of the nearest equivilant - very slightly different as the specification has changed and the current one is actually a slightly lower spec - is only about £10 less than mine 14 months ago.

Last edited:

Rod S

Jan 21, 2012
Not quite so straightforward.....

Under the new system there is apparently a tickbox that I missed which would have allowed me to submit additional information by letter.

Because I didn't tick it I either have to withdraw the claim, and lose the £60 Court fees, and start a new claim (another £60) or pay another £45 to revise the claim which involves a lot of paper forms and me writing by hand in red ink.......

The £45 is also non-refundable so I either lose £60 or £45.

So much for progress.

I've gone for the £45 option and found a red biro :D

Rod S

Jan 21, 2012
Well I didn't go for the "red biro" option, I found it all sorts itself out later on in the process.

And it really is "later on"....

I have a Court date set for late July.

I also have the option of a "free" phone based mediation service that avoids further Court fees.

Any experiences with this service ???

It's something I've not seen before (but last time I was involved in Small Claims Court helping someone else was over 10 years ago) so I'm not sure how it works.

aburubayka

May 9, 2012
Hi Rob and All Others To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing a report evaluating Amazon's dispute resolution programme and would really appreciate to hear your views. Please could you fill in the small survey, it will only take a few minutes. Your views are extremely important to me.

surveymonkey.com/s/MZM3NKG

Thank you

Steve.

Rod S

Jan 21, 2012
Well I went through the phone "mediation" process this afternoon (Court case set for mid July) and I was quite impressed.

Amazon settled at £50 below the best I could have expected in Court and £350 above their "final" offer before I started Court proceedings. The minus £50 includes them paying all me fees so far so I am only £50 out of pocket for a case I may not have won (which would have made me about £800 out of pocket).

Small Claims Court mediation services gets my thumbs up.....:)

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Thats good news, most companies settle either at this stage or before because while you might be worried about losing, it could be much more damaging for them to lose.

Thanks for letting us know.

Rod S

Jan 21, 2012
Well Amazon never paid by the date agreed - despite three reminders - and hence have renaged on the signed Agreement they sent to Court.

Currently back in the hands of the Mediator but I expect to be re-starting the Small Claims Court process all over again in the next couple of days - but leaving out the Mediator process this time.