Dealer trying to alter deal after deposit

Jason

Jan 25, 2012
We’ve paid a £1000 deposit using credit & debit cards (appx £500 ea) to secure a used horse trailer from a main dealer.

Prior to the deposit being paid we agreed a number of faults would be repaired or rectified, and we would purchase a couple of extras.

Subsequent to the deposit being paid (and hence the contract made between us) the manager has over-ruled his sales staff and we’ve been informed that some of those repairs will be at our expense.

I understand we could walk away and get a full refund, however we would still like to go ahead with the purchase with the faults rectified as originally agreed. Where do we stand?

The dealer also stated that should we come to collect the trailer it will be on a ‘sold-as-seen basis’ and should we decide that the trailer isn’t up to standard and walk away he will keep £250 of our deposit. Is this legal?

Could the dealer simply refuse to honour our contract and refund us or can we insist the work is carried out and sold to us as agreed?

Thanks in advance.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If he decides not to honour the contract as agreed, you are entitled to a full refund, if any of the required repairs mean the vehicle is unsafe, he must carry out the repairs before you collect it.

A verbal agreement is just as legally binding as a written one although obviously it helps if you have some proof of what was promised.

I would take the money and run from this one I think because you're certainly not going to get any aftercare if the engine falls out on your way home.

Better to wait a while and be sure of getting something you are happy with.

Contact your bank and credit card company, you may be covered by them for his breach of contract.