Expensive sofa bed of poor quality- company i bought it from not being responsive

Minimoog79

Jan 26, 2012
Hello forum members,

I am starting to go round in circles so I hope someone will be able to give me some advice as to what I can do to remedy my situation.

In March 2011, I ordered a bespoke sofa bed from a small furniture company called Highly Sprung, located in London. The sofa bed cost me nearly £1300 including £45 delivery. The couch was delivered 6 weeks later, just in time for my parents to visit for a couple of days, and sleep in it.

When I bought the couch, I was told the bed was made to sleep on it every day, was guaranteed for 2 years and the sofa 10 years. All in all, the bed has been slept on for just over 2 months, by one single person (and my parents have spent 5 nights on it in total). Everybody who has slept in this bed is thin/ normal weight and not super tall. So the weight on it has not been excessive.

Now, I started noticing that the sofa cushions were sinking a bit in the middle and that the bed mattress itself was not as comfy and several people have complained about having painful backs after sleeping on this bed. So I started complaining to Highly Sprung in October, not even 6 months after the sofa had been delivered. I called the shop several times, was told all sorts of rubbish, emailed them, finally a service visit was arranged on January 14th. On that very day, no one turned up. I called the guy who was supposed to come check my sofa and he either says he'll look into it or doesn't respond.
This is totally unacceptable for a sofa of that price and after what I describe as light use.

Other people have been having problems with this company and complained about the poor quality of the items, which doesn't match the quality of the products on display in the store.

Is there any association I can contact to take this matter up? Am I entitled to a refund (part or whole cost)?

Thanks