Bad tradesman advice please

Westside

Jan 10, 2012
I recently had a guy in to re-point the side of the house and replace a ceiling, which he (eventually) did a reasonable job of.
While he was there, my wife asked him if he could replace our old front door (which didn't open as it was painted up) and the rotten wooden doorstep.
He agreed and proceeded to take out the old step, replaced it with a very shonky concrete step (not well shaped at all), bodged the door surround, refitted the door which now sticks (second door attempt, he cocked the first one up and had to buy another) and is draughty, despite my attempts to seal it with draught excluder.
He also put a round knob on the door which sits so close to the frame that you can't get your hand in to turn it, and to cap it all, there's no weather bar or any seal at the bottom of the door so when it rains, all the water runs under the door into the carpet!

Unfortunately my wife paid him as he had taken so long to do it we just wanted rid, but obviously the job isn't right.
When I contacted him, he said he'd broken his leg and wouldn't be able to do anything for a couple of months, so I asked him to get someone else in to rectify it.

After waiting a week, I contacted him again and he was "still waiting for the tradesmen to get back to him" so wanting it sorted ASAP, we agreed that I would get someone in to do it at his expense.

We have had several people round now offering everything from a new step, through a fibregalss replacement to a new oak door, but they have all commented that the work previously done is shoddy and really it needs doing again form the start.

I just wondered where I stand legally as our preferred option is to have a new step, and a replacement correctly fitted door, but this is going to cost IRO £500 (still less than we paid the first time though!!) and we need it done ASAP as we're getting a new floor laid in that room soon, but i'm sure he'll kick off and say it just needs to be sealed at the bottom for minimal cost.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You want the job you've paid for to be completed to a reasonable standard, don't feel guilty about him having to pay to put right what he has failed to do.

Send him the quotes you have recieved so he knows beforehand what the cost is likely to be.

It may be worth speaking to your insurance company too.

Westside

Jan 10, 2012
Hi, thanks for the reply. I will contact the original tradesman, and we have booked the replacement to be fitted this Friday.

I doubt we'll have any money from the first trader by then, so we'll have to pay the second guy ourselves, I just have a feeling that the first trader will try to get out of paying - even if I send him a copy invoice.

I will take plenty of photos of the current state of the door to show the problem areas and keep them on fils, but if he won't pay, what's my next move?