Slats on bed broken.

VampireJack

Feb 8, 2012
I bought a double bed (with mattress) from Great Universal catalogue just before Christmas.
At the time I did wonder if the wooden slats would be strong enough, but as I had already opened the packaging (which, obviously you have to to get the stuff out!) I could no longer return the bed.
After less than 6 weeks a couple of the slats broke, from me just turning over in bed onto my side. Obviously I'm not happy about this as a double bed should be able to support at least 2 people, whereas it was just I at 14 stone. I'm also concerned that more slats could go at any time - I did try putting a board under the bed for support but that almost crippled my back and caused neck problems, so not the best thing to try in my case. I did also consider buying additional slats to strengthen the bed - but why should I have to pay even more money for something that obviously isn't fit for purpose?
Well, obviously I should be covered by my guarantee as I have only had the bed around 7 weeks, so I contacted the catalogue to initially see about maybe getting some new slats sent, but to be honest I don't have confidence that that would help as I don't think those will be strong enough.
They initially told me that someone would be in contact the following day to arrange either a replacement or a return. This contact never happened.
A week later again I contacted them and they said the same thing. Again, nothing.
Until today when I received this letter :

"Thank you for your communication regarding Universal 4 ft bed.
It is out company policy to have all furniture inspected by a Qualified Upholsterer to ascertain if there is a manufacturing fault.
If the inspector advises us that it is not a manufacturing fault there may be a charge of £45 debited to your account to cover any costs we have incurred offering this service"

Now, I would presume that I should have a guarantee that should cover this service? Why should I possibly have to pay the money for an item that is obviously not fit for the purpose it was designed for? It's a double bed which should be able to handle 2 people - not just me.

I feel that the bed is not fit for purpose - so I should be able to return it, am I correct?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
VJ.