Useful white goods repair website?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I've just come across this website: White Goods Help. According to the site, it's written by a guy who repaired washing machines for 20 years and wants to encourage people to get their white goods repaired rather than throwing them out and getting a new one. He has a lot of advice on getting things repaired and also on what to look for when buying new white goods. No idea whether he is legit or whether there is some sort of hidden agenda there (yes I am very suspicious) but on the face of it it looks like a useful website.

cjmarcantonio

Jan 20, 2009
I was scouting around for one earlier as my dryer had gone up the spout earlier. Managed to find a company called repaircare, and was given a fixed quote of under £100. Deffo worth a click.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
To be honest I have never heard of either of them. From my personal experience it always seems to be more expensive to repair rather than replace, which is wrong I know from a green perspective....

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Noooooooooo, the one you want is UK Whitegoods - Domestic Appliance Help, Advice, Repairs & Spare Parts brilliant site, it is a forum run by repairers and you have to register, then you tell them what your item is and what is wrong with it and someone will come back and tell you if you can repair it yourself, what parts you need and then they order them for you.

If you can't repair it yourself, they will recommend a repairer in your area and they have all come on recommendation and they charge acceptable rate, none of you head shaking and teeth sucking from this lot.

I have had the guy back they recommended to us several times now for various appliances and if its ****** he will tell you, if its not, he'll fix it!!!

Highly recommended site and has saved us a lot of money in repair bills (you'd be surprised how easy it is to change a thermostat on a tumble dryer.

Reactions: Tony

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That looks like a great site Witch Consumer. I'll sticky this post.

Tony

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Yes looks like a really good site, and having someone who has used it and has positive experience is always good too.

Now, is there a site somewhere that can make children behave themselves?

cjmarcantonio

Jan 20, 2009
Noooooooooo, the one you want is UK Whitegoods - Domestic Appliance Help, Advice, Repairs & Spare Parts[/url] brilliant site, it is a forum run by repairers and you have to register, then you tell them what your item is and what is wrong with it and someone will come back and tell you if you can repair it yourself, what parts you need and then they order them for you.
I dunno, I compared both (along with many others of course) & I'd seriously think twice, if it's a cost effective repair you're after - I'd go with RepairCare. Plus, the treatment I received, i can't speak highly enough of them.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
How odd - I could have sworn I posted on this. I hire my white goods - from forbesdirect and I have to say I cannot fault them. My tumble drier costs three pounds a month, has been repaired twice in eight years and is serviced yearly. My washing machine is brilliant and the service is rapid and fantastic. I would never ever buy new now.

IronMike

May 15, 2009
You are talking about different things now... One of them is a repair-site where your "own" appliances are repaired, the other one is a "appliance-hiring" site.

In my opinion, both sites address completely different target groups. Me, for example, I would never hire white goods. That's just not me, don't ask me why. But I am sure that many people think like me...

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
If an appliance breaks down I usually replace it. There are usually some good deals around.

Having an appliance repaired brings back memories of having to book time off work to be at home for a 4 hour slot and then having to wait for parts. Then booking more time off work to be at home for the next repair attempt.

Having read these posts and taken a quick look at the websites mentioned, I will certainly look in to a repair as well as looking for a replacement the next time something breaks down. I may even attempt a repair myself. Cost and convenience will be the deciding factors.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks for this information - that's wonderful. I have many many memories of waiting in for repairmen and I think I mentioned somewhere else that I have since given up on my dishwasher. If it really does work out as cheap as chips to rent that is very very appealing to me! I will definitely go and take a look at that option ....

stardvd555

Aug 5, 2009
www.mycollects.com
Having an appliance repaired brings back memories of having to book time off work to be at home for a 4 hour slot and then having to wait for parts. Then booking more time off work to be at home for the next repair attempt.

Bagpuss

Apr 7, 2010
Portadown
espares or quinnspare (both online) are good for parts. To be honest though there's so much deflation in electricals and what with the call out charge alone your probably better buying new.

Jostar

Sep 20, 2010
www.postgoldforcash.com
Does anyone know if when you've bought a washing machine, can you get a refund if it hasn't been delivered yet?
bought a new washing machine but I've just realised that it may not fit in my new house as I didn't measure! argh!

Bkaren

Oct 1, 2010
that's interesting but alot of the time it costs more to repair than buying a new one

GloriaDSharma

Jul 13, 2016
Is White Goods Help a legit website? I need some appliances repaired. We've gone through some of its articles and it's quite helpful.