Manufacturers Warranty

ddwyolwyn

Feb 9, 2012
Three months ago I bought a van with five months of a 3 year from new manufacturers' warranty remaining.

The van soon developed a fault, it would start and run for a few seconds and then repeat this until I gave up. The next day it would be okay.
It went back to the main dealer for repair under warranty and they did experience the problems but could not identify the cause, they made some changes in the hope that the problem would be solved.
It wasn't, so it went back again but still no fault could be diagnosed. It is still unreliable.

The main dealer now says it has cost him too much trying to find this fault, he's not paid for diagnosis only for repairs, he doesn't want to try again. Says he's exhausted all possibilities.
It's no use me insisting he has the van because I can't make him do anything when he has it.

I know my purchase contract is with the dealer who sold me the van and they have to resolve this, they have recognised their responsibility but I also think the manufacturers warranty should be honoured.
Is the manufacturers' warranty enforcible?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Well if your warranty is still intact, why doesn't the dealer refer the matter to the manufacturer? After all it is the dealer who sold the van plus remaining warranty to you?
Failing this, you could just contact the manufacturer directly (though this is not the 'prescribed' means) and explain the situation and see what they say.

This next bit I'm not 100% sure due to the amount of time you've had the van.. (but if anyone else is reading here and could jump in) .. You may.. And only may (I'm pretty sure youd struggle to) but you might be able to reject the van?
Like I say I'm not entirely sure, I'm not one for second-hand items.. And it all boils down to what you believed you were purchasing etc..
But have a read around at rejecting second hand goods and see if it fits you/your contract. Or have a word with dealer and get them to take it up with manufacturer, and if it gets bad enough, do it yourself.. Worth a go..

Adam