Insurance Policy

asutt

Feb 14, 2012
The police broke into my father in laws property as they thought he was missing, he was quite ok, we have tried to claim on his home insurance policy to replace his back door, however the insurance company are stating because he was ok and there was no emergency inside they will not pay out for the repairs, the police will not accept liability either as they say they were checking on his welfare, he is a pensioner and cannot afford to repair the damage, anyone else come across this ! Your help would be appreciated .:)

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
I can see your sticky situation, has the door been replaced/repaired yet? Or have the police fitted a 'temporary door'?
What grounds did they have to believe that he was unable to answer the door/being unwell?
The police should have left a card/notice behind after entry, which should have been given to the occupier as of their Code of Practice: Code B 2011. This card/notice should have contactable details on there, and potentially what grounds they had on it.

As for the legality of leaving him to foot the bill, this is tricky to find out, as if it was legal and they had reason to believe that offences were committed or that injury or damage was taking place/going to take place to persons or buildings, then they are not responsible to foot the bill.. However: no offences , but perhaps reason to believe harm to persons.. Though they were wrong.
I can't find any code of practices which have rules where the police are wrong.

What you're best off doing is, contact the non-emergency line to discuss the matter, or pop down to the police station where you can request to speak to the duty officer with your complaint. Or you can pop into a citizens advice bureaux where they may be able to help you, as this is a civil matter I believe.
If you try all these and are still unhappy, lodge a complaint with the IPCC (Independant police complaints commission) where they may be able to help.

If the door has been fixed or replaced at a cost to your father in law or anyone for that matter, you may be able to claim this money back from the police.

I hope this is of any use.
Adam

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Forgot to add, as for the insurance, check the policy, if you don't have it, you can request one printed out for you, and just scan all the fine print.. Just incase the person you spoke to is telling fibs.

Also, if he was 'missing' , why would he be at home? If they thought he was missing and thought this for a time, wouldn't they need a search warrant as it would not be an urgent need to gain entry as such?

Adam