Mobile phone boom over?

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Perhaps unsurprising given the current financial climate, it seems more and more people are not paying their mobile phone bills than ever before.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Contract_customers_default_in_increasing_numbers.html

I also read an article today suggesting that fewer people are now changing their phones frequently, and those that do are waiting longer in between changes.

Has the mobile phone boom reached its zenith I wonder?

I'm sure newer technology like the I-Phone will remain sought after, but it does seem to be that growth in this sector is slowing. I guess it has reached saturation point. This and the fact that most companies charges are still ludicrously high, is starting to hit home with consumers who are perhaps now seeing a new phone on an expensive tariff as less a necessity and more the luxury it should be seen to be.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Similar story in The Economist.

Make sense that perhaps the mobile boom is over: a new handset is a 'luxury' when it's a case of finding money for the essentials - housing, food, bills - first.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Certainly does Katealpha, and it also explains why many mobile phone companies are diversifying into other areas now, such as electronic goods and internet service provision.

I read on a website that Phones 4 U were criticised for just focusing on the mobile market these days and that this could indeed lead to the collapse of the company, unless they decided to diversify their range of products.

I think with phones doing so much now they are almost the same as a small computer or PDA as well as a miniture games console, Walkman and camera. I don't know how much more a phone can actually do and still have the label "a phone". Those days seem long gone now. I can still remember when text messages were a novelty.