Warranty - HELP!!!

Chris101

Feb 15, 2012
Guys I took a warranty a month or so ago with a 3rd part company.

2 weeks back a problem occurred with the warranty and its taken 1.4 weeks to get to the following point -

Initially from making the claim on Monday it took 2 days for them to request my MOT proof and service history, which after emailing them on the same day, it took another 2 days for them to appoint an inspector.
The inspector came this week on Tuesday and the response was given to them today from the inspector.

The warranty company called me up and advised they were unable to proceed with my claim as I had not signed the policy documents.

The reason why the policy document was not signed was based on the following email conversations with the sales rep -

My email to the sales rep -

'I have just received the contract documents to sign.

On it the, mileage is incorrect.
Since I have updated you with the correct mileage via phone, do you need to resend the contract document's out for me to sign or can you email it to me please?'

-----
The sales rep response was -

'I have put a note on the system about the mileage, that's fine, you wouldn't need paperwork sending out
as we've got that information from you.'

This email I interpreted as I would not be required to send the policy document signed as it had been all done via the phone/email as I had done with previous warranty companies.

I then send another email -

'Hi,
Just wanted to check and see if my warranty is now valid and all the checks with in regards to the chassis number are complete?'

Sales rep response -

'I've just checked, everything is fine and your warranty is up and running.'

-----

The above gave me reassurance to my previous email that my warranty was valid and I didn't require any other part from my side.

Since sending the above emails to the claims departments, they have asked me to resign the policy documents to progress with the claim but they cannot assure me the claim will be accepted.

How do I go about getting them to make sure they process my claim?

I have known warranty companies to slide out of things and it looks like it is happening to me...

Thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If you still have those emails I would sign the documents as requested and if they don't process your claim then, with the evidence you have assuring you the warranty was active, you takr them to the small claims court.

Chris101

Feb 15, 2012
They did finally in the proceed with my claim as I had to send a confirmation email to agree to their T&C's and policy form.

However they are now rejecting my claim based on the fault now not being a failure and rather progressive which they have no proof on and the director himself says it is common and may happen

His response to my complaint -

Reply from the main man himself -
Thanks for your email. I'm sorry that you feel you haven't received the best service from us. Looking through your correspondence we've reacted in good time to your queries but the delay in you signing the proposal form has slowed things down. I'm sorry the engineer didn't get to your car quicker but this something we find difficult to control as they're often very busy with long travelling times.

As far as your claim goes, it would seem that after such a small mileage since the inception of the warranty, the gearbox fault may have been pre-existing. In my experience these failures don't suddenly happen, but get worse over time and mileage.

I'm willing to re-examine your claim if there's evidence to support a sudden failure or that the fault developed in the short time after you'd taken out the warranty. Like medical and home insurance, no used car warranty company can offer cover for faults that were present on vehicles before the warranty came into force.

I do feel though that your expectation of our warranty conditions may a problem and as --- has advised, we're willing to offer you a full refund.

----
My garage advised me that no computer logs the date of the occurance so really it my word vs there's.

Any advise would be helpful.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It seems to me there would be little point in anyone taking out a warranty if this was the case, you are weaaring an engine every sinngle time you start it so any fault 'could' be put down to wear and tear.

You have not made it completely clear what the garage have said about the fault, can they not confirm whether it was a progressive fault or whether there would have been any sign that the fault existed?

It seems to me the only way you can get round this is by having a report on the fault to send to the company providing the warranty, then you may be in a position to take them to the small claims court if they still refuse to honour the warranty.

Also check your T&C's and see if there is anything regarding exclusions.

Chris101

Feb 15, 2012
Unfortunately not, its my word against their's.
Garage has said it just records the fault and not the actual date...

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Sorry still don't have a clear picture, may be my age but would you mind clarifying the following:

When you bought the car

when the original warranty ran out (if there was one)

When the fault developed, and what happened

When you took it into the garage

What the inspector said to you at the time of the inspection

Who nominaated the garage

When it want in

What the said about the failure of the gearbox
Sorry I know I appear to be asking a lot but the timeline and actions may help