Just bought a car,now it needs a service!!

Kazzykins

Feb 19, 2012
Hi!
I bought a 2nd hand car from Citroen Manchester (11 plate). Now 2 weeks after purchasing it I have had a call from them to say the car is now due a service which came as a surprise as I wasn't told when I purchased it. They now say if I don't get it serviced it will affect my warranty. The girl on the phone said they don't usually tell anyone when they buy a car from them that it is due a service,which sounds a bit strange.I can't afford to pay for a service, I already had to find money to pay for the deposit for the car. I thought that all cars are serviced before they are sold on, maybe I'm wrong. Any advice please? :confused:

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
Generally cars are serviced before sale, but this is down to the how much the seller cares. For example: little old man from number 32 might service his car before sale to be nice... Mr garage doesn't care whether he looks nice or not.

You need to query why it would affect the warranty. And secondly if you were not made aware of this, then they have no way to enforce the service upon you, and this should not affect the warranty. This is as it wasn't made a 'term' of your contract with them.
Best to look through all your paperwork, warranty etc and look for this term, if it's not present, they can't enforce it. If it is, and you've signed (meaning agreed) with these terms, then unfortunately you would be bound to it.

Hope this helps.
Adam

Last edited: