total loss need help!!!

suz1

Feb 21, 2012
i have a citroen c2 57 plate on finance, have a gap policy and comprehensive insurance (sheilas wheels).
before xmas the car suffered faults and to cut a long story short faiuled.
i had to take it to a citroen dealer to get it looked at and theyve stripped the engine at a cost of +£500 to diagnose the fault.
the report said the turbo failed and somehow oil got into the engine and basically because the cylinders cannot compress fluid it caused irreparable damage and hence undriveable.
i contacted the insurance and they claim because its a manufacturers fault its not covered by them and so im stumped as to where i stand.
i want to contact the gap policy holders but if the insurance are claiming its not a "total loss" what will the gap holders say?

furthermore, any idea if because its a "manufacturers fault" that citroen have any responsibility? surely a car that is only 57 plate the turbo shouldn't fail?

any info would be greatly recieved thanks

gib

Jun 18, 2012
Hi,

I would also be very interested if anyone has any feedback on this.

My situation is my BMW M5 which is less than 5 years old with 50K miles has had injectors fail and BMW are offering a good will gesure of £14,000 leaving me with a £19,000 bill for the repair.

Surely for an engine part to fail that is not servicable on a car with a full service history and is less than 5 years old does not meet the requirements under UK law of "fit for use"??

If so this would also apply to the original posters situation

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Whether an item is of merchantable quality and fit for purpose is based on the expected lifespan of the goods and their cost. I would think the expected lifespan of a vehicle with full service history is a damn site longer than 5 years.

Which dealer did the BMW come from?

gib

Jun 18, 2012
Here's where is gets a little complex as I am the third owner of the vehicle and it was purchased outside the dealer network. However, i dont think that this should matter as it should be based on the actual age and cost of the vehicle, or at least thats what I'm hoping.

Does anyone know a good lawyer that I can talk to about this?